Flower

Flower

Saturday, March 7, 2015

Lenten Journey: Expect a Miracle

"When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the child leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit and exclaimed with a loud cry, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb. And why has this happened to me, that the mother of my Lord comes to me? For as soon as I heard the sound of your greeting, the child in my womb leaped for joy. And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her by the Lord.” Luke 1:41-45


Elizabeth's cousin, Mary, was alerted by the angel Gabriel that Elizabeth was expecting a child. Mary hurried to go visit her. Upon arriving and greeting Elizabeth, the baby in Elizabeth's womb leaped for joy. The Holy Spirit came upon Elizabeth and she blessed Mary.

Elizabeth had a vital role in God's plan of salvation. Her duty was to bring John the Baptist into the world. He would precede and pave the way for Jesus. If Elizabeth had given up on God because of her infertility, she would have failed in the role that God had planned for her.

The beauty about Elizabeth was her humility. Even though she played such an important role in God's plan of salvation, her focus was always on God, never on herself. This is demonstrated when she asks Mary: "Why has this happened to me, that the mother of my Lord comes to me?"

We should never underestimate God's tremendous love for us. When we least expect it, He will touch us with a miracle and our life will be changed forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment