Flower

Flower

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Waiting in the Lord

"Wait for the Lordbe strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord!" Psalm 27:14


There is an endless song
Echoes in my soul
I hear the music ring 
And though the storms may come
I am holding on
To the rock I cling


This song has been playing on my head all week long. It began on Sunday when we sang it during mass. Little did I know it was providential. I was going to have to hold on to the Rock with all my strength this week when we received disturbing news. Some lab results for my youngest son Alex were abnormal. We spent one day at the hospital running more tests and now we wait.

Waiting for me is the hardest. I want to know everything immediately. If I had a crystal ball that could show me the future, I would be checking it constantly. But that's not how life works. Life is a waiting game. We are always in a holding pattern because we don't know what tomorrow will bring.

But we do have two choices: we can despair and get anxious while we wait or we can be at peace while we wait in the Lord. It's very easy to succumb to the first one but the second one is so much better. At first, I found myself filled with anxiety, fear and distress. The worst possible scenarios were crowding my head. But Jesus who knows me so well sent me a ray of hope. The ultrasound results looked good. I could remove the worst from my mind.

"Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid." John 14:27

Another God-incidence this week is that the novena to St. Monica began on Tuesday. St. Monica is one of my favorite saints, probably because she's the patron saint of mothers and oh how I need her. I know that she is taking my prayers and requests to the Lord and through her intercession I am finding the peace that I crave.

By Friday I knew that I had no choice but to wait in the Lord. I went back and I read my last meditation, "Turn your Worries to God." I stopped being the driver and I turned the wheel to God. And He gave me another ray of hope. I called the doctor's office and they told me that based on the results they had gotten back it looked like things were improving.

On Monday we will hear the final diagnosis. In the meantime, I am at peace because I know my prayer warriors are carrying me. I sent a text to my sisters in Christ, my prayer Angels. I know that Alex is covered with prayers. And I promise not to worry and be at peace this weekend. As my friend Claire likes to point out: "It's better to laugh than to cry." So I'm planning to laugh a lot this weekend while holding on to the Rock. I will remain calm and pray for Alex.

Please join me and pray for Alex.


No comments:

Post a Comment