Flower

Flower

Sunday, October 18, 2015

A Journey to Christmas surrounded by Angels

"And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom He is pleased.'" Luke 2:13-14

I had heard of "writer's block" but it had never happened to me. But in the past couple of weeks, I've gone through a dry spell. No inspirations. No great ideas to write about. I didn't think anyone would notice but my friend Anna sent me a text message on Friday: "Time for you to work on a meditation. You are overdue..."

I've been thinking the entire weekend, "what can I write about?" Then I changed my question into a prayer: "what do You want me to write about?" After all, I'm just a pencil in God's hand. It's His message, not mine. I just have to let Him use me. But sometimes I'm very stubborn and I don't want to obey Him.

For the past couple of weeks, I have been struggling with Him. Ever since my last meditation about "angels" I've been feeling God gently moving me in that direction. The day after I wrote about "angels," I went to a mini retreat at St. Augustine Catholic Church. The guest speaker was Scott Hahn, a Catholic theologian, author and speaker. He has published numerous books. I've only read one, "Rome Sweet Rome," which is his personal conversion story from Presbyterian to Catholicism. He has also written many of the Bible studies I've attended at my Parish so when I found out he was in town, I signed up right away. He gave us three talks and the last one was about angels. I felt God talking to me directly through Dr. Hahn.

We are two months away from Christmas. I tend to prepare very well for Easter but my Christmas preparation leaves much to be desired. I'm great at gift buying and decorating. But my spiritual preparation tends to get lost in the hustle and bustle of the season. I try to prepare spiritually but there is always so much to do externally, that I end up feeling overwhelmed and my spirituality gets buried deep under all the material gifts. I have a feeling that the same thing happens to a lot of people.

This year God wants me to prepare for Christmas the same way I prepare for Easter... from the inside out. And He has been coaxing me to write about angels. And I've been fighting Him because seriously... angels? Yes, I believe in angels but how many people out there truly believe in angels? I guess I'm about to find out.

I am extending an invitation to you to join me on this journey to Christmas. We will prepare for the birth of baby Jesus with the help of the angels. Let's place the true reason for the season at the forefront. Instead of concentrating on all the glitter and sparkle that will surely blind us, let's search for the inner light that will brighten the way to our hearts, so that this year we can truly discover the meaning of Christmas. And maybe, just maybe, there will be room in our inn to allow Jesus to be born like a King.

Our journey to Christmas will begin on Sunday, October 25th. You may sign up on my blog to receive the meditations by email.

May angels guide you every step of the way. And if you have an angel story that you would like to share, please send it to me by email (mcromero@bellsouth.net). Let me know if you allow me to post it on my blog and of course I will give you credit by name unless you specifically request to remain anonymous.


No comments:

Post a Comment