Flower

Flower

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Lenten Journey: Forgive and Embrace

"If you are offering your gift at the altar, and there remember that your brother (or sister) has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother (or sister), and then come and offer your gift." Matthew 5:23-24



Today we are going to meet up with two sisters. These are not the famous sisters from Jesus' time. These sisters lived approximately 1900 years before Christ. We meet them in Genesis 29. Here's the link to their story: Genesis 29


Leah and Rachel were as physically different as night and day. Rachel was beautiful and lovely while Leah is simply described as having weak eyes (Gen 29:17). Jacob, the grandson of Abraham, falls head over heels in love with Rachel. He told Laban, the sisters' father, that he would serve him seven years in exchange for Rachel's hand. Laban agreed but at the end of the seven years, he played a trick on Jacob. At the end of the wedding ceremony, Jacob thought that he was spending the night with Rachel but Laban had cunningly substituted Leah in her place. When Jacob discovered the deception the following morning, he was furious. He did not love Leah, he was in love with Rachel. Laban made another deal with Jacob. At the end of the seven-day marriage ceremony, he could marry Rachel in exchange for seven more years of service.

It all sounds like a soap opera. After reading all this, I couldn't help but feel sorry for both Leah and Rachel. Leah was completely eclipsed by her younger sister. And her father placed her in a very difficult position. Now not only was she unattractive, now she was also unloved. Her husband Jacob only had eyes for Rachel. And Rachel had to stand back and watch her sister marry the man she loved. And even though she could eventually marry him, now she had to share her husband with her sister. Both sisters had to compete against each other for their husband's attention.

How many times have we felt like Leah, unloved and unattractive? How many times have we felt like Rachel, cheated by those we love? Leah married a man who didn't love her and Rachel had to accept her father's decision because during this period in time, women were treated as property. The wishes of a daughter were not taken into consideration when a marriage was arranged. Since both Leah and Rachel were under Laban's authority, they had to obey him. And the selfish father didn't love either one of his daughters, he only loved himself. He used both his daughters to keep Jacob at his service. Both sisters were manipulated by their father. And to make matters worst, by marrying both sisters to the same man, the father turned both sisters against each other.

I always wanted to have a sister. I remember as a little girl that I would dream of coming home from school and finding that the stork had left me a baby sister. All of my friends were paired up with sisters (Tere & Dulce, Ani & Lily, M. Jose & Inmaculada, Ana Mari & M. Luisa...). So when I was about 8 years old, I created two imaginary sisters. I never told anyone my secret, but in my mind, I had two younger sisters, Ana & Luisa. They were the perfect sisters because we never fought.

I guess because I don't have a sister, it's very difficult for me to comprehend when sisters don't get along. I don't understand the jealousy, competition and rivalry that is present in many sisters. But this is exactly what happened to Rachel and Leah. There is bitterness, envy and antagonism between the two sisters. They are in a bitter struggle to out-do each other and win the love of their husband. Tomorrow we will see the results of all this competition between the two sisters and how God intervenes.

But for today, my prayer is for sisters (and brothers) to get along. If you have a sister (or brother) and there is an unresolved issue, forgive and embrace. Call your sister (or brother) this weekend and breach the gap that is keeping you apart. Even though I don't have a sister, I have been blessed with many good friends that I consider sisters in Christ. I will make it a point to spend time with some of them this weekend.

During this journey I'm going to recommend some books that I believe will be good reading material for those that have the time to go a little deeper. Here's my first recommendation:
"Resentment to Forgiveness: A Gateway to Happiness" by Francisco Ugarte

No comments:

Post a Comment