Flower

Flower

Sunday, May 14, 2017

LTH during the Easter Season: Finding the Roses amongst the Thorns

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses." Abraham Lincoln

May 9, 2010

Dear Mary, my Blessed Mother:

Happy Mother's Day!!!

Today is your day. You are Jesus' Mother and He gave You to us, so You are our Mother too. Thank You for being such an integral part of my life.

I feel so happy today. What a difference a year makes. Last year, I didn't even want to celebrate Mother's Day. I was so sad. I felt as if my perfect little world had ended. It did end, but we learned to adapt to our new normal. We learned to live with the illness. We learned to find the roses amongst the thorns. Even though it took four months to find the right treatment, we found it and life is pretty back to normal.

I woke up and the first thing I got was a text message from Rafi: "Happy Mother's Day, mom. I love you!!!" How sweet those words. He sent it at 12:15 am so he was the first one to tell me "Happy Mother's Day." Since Rafi is not an emotional child and he doesn't usually express his feelings, this was doubly sweet. Not only did he remember but he said "I love you."

Chabeli and Alex are still sleeping. Yesterday, all four of us went to mass together at Belen. They are such good kids. They have been so supportive throughout their brother's illness. Not once have they complained. I know that in this past year, I have given more thought and attention to Rafi than to them, but they have not shown one ounce of jealousy. They have been great troopers, and all three of them have a beautiful relationship amongst themselves. There is nothing that brings greater joy to a mother's heart than to know that her children love each other and they get along so well.

Mama Mary, I know that You are as happy today as I am. We have come a long way as a family. And You have walked by our side every step of the way.

I love You, Madrecita.

Happy Mother's Day!!!


May 14, 2017

Dear Mama Mary:

Happy Mother's Day!!!

Yes, we definitely have come a long way. And You have witnessed every tear, every smile, every struggle, every milestone, every painful moment and every joyful accomplishment.

The biggest gift that I will receive today is seeing my children healthy, loving each other, seeing them happy and knowing that they have turned into good, productive, independent adults. Once again, as I did seven years ago, I will only have Chabeli and Alex with me on this day. But knowing that Rafi is doing so well living in New York and working for a company that he enjoys so much, is the best gift ever, even if I don't have him near me.

On this Mother's Day, I will celebrate them. I will celebrate the persons that they have become. I will celebrate their joys and their health. I will enjoy the music of their laughter. I will dance to the beat of their company. And I will cherish the gift of them.

Thank You Mama Mary for teaching me how to be the best mom that I could be. And thank You for holding my hand when it became too painful. And thank You for drying my tears when I had to shed them. And thank You for laughing with me on all those moments when I couldn't contain the joy within my heart. And thank You for sharing with me all the happy moments, which are too many to recount.

Motherhood has been the best gift that God has given me and I would not change one minute of it. Even the painful moments have been better than not having experienced this incredible GIFT. And for every minute of pain, there have been countless hours of joy. In order to enjoy a rose, we need to search for her amongst the thorns. I am thankful for the painful thorns that have opened my eyes to appreciate the beautiful gift of motherhood.

I know Mama Mary that You also carry many roses and thorns within your heart, but You cherish them both. You enjoy the beauty of the roses in spite of the thorns. You chose to celebrate all the joyful moments with Jesus, even though You knew that a thorn would one day pierce your heart.

Help me to enjoy the beauty in my life, even on those days when I have to struggle to see the roses among the thorns. I know that the thorns exist, but today, I choose to ignore them and I choose to celebrate the beauty around me. Today, I choose to be thankful because thorn bushes have roses.

I love You, Mama Mary.

Happy Mother's Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment