Flower

Flower

Thursday, November 9, 2017

LTH: Life is a Series of Complications Sprinkled with Blessings

"It’s not all about being pious or reverent. It’s about reaching out to others in genuine concern and compassion. It’s about offering to help someone with a problem. It’s about accompanying someone through a difficult time without expecting any reward or any thanks. These 'door openers' help place the love of Christ and the fruit of the Spirit front and center." The Word Amongst Us June 13, 2017

November 9, 2007

Dear Jesus:

I'm home alone this weekend with Chabeli & Alex. Rafe is doing the Spiritual Exercises. He left last night. I want to pray for him, Jesus. I would like so much for him to get closer to You. I feel as if he has wandered away from You in the past few years. The pressures of the world, and his sense of responsibility towards us, are drowning him, and they are not leaving him much time for You. Yes, he goes to mass every Sunday, but that's about it.


Jesus, I would like for him to receive the message that he needs to receive from You. Of course, there's the possibility that he may not receive a message. Maybe he just needs this weekend to stop, reflect, and meditate on your word. It may just be a quick stop on his journey. It doesn't need to be a life changing experience.

Whatever You have in store for him this weekend, Jesus, please help him to open up his heart to accept You, to listen to You, to feel You, to relax, to put aside the stress, and help him to come back renewed and refreshed.

Life is one complication after another. Help Rafe to learn to deal with all these complications in a calm manner. Help him to be more patient and more understanding.

Jesus, he is yours this weekend. Do with him what You know is best.

I love You, Jesus!!!


November 9, 2017

Dear Jesus:

Little did I know when I wrote You that letter ten years ago, that Rafe would not be able to complete the Spiritual Exercises. On Saturday night, November 10th, I would receive a call that Rafi was in ICU at Princeton Medical Center fighting for his life.

I almost lost him, Jesus. I almost lost him. Our perfect little world was rocked to the core of our foundation. Our life was turned upside down, and we began an intense roller coaster ride. Yet, that experience brought me closer to You and to Your Mother.

As I reflect on that difficult episode, I can't help but think of Mama Mary. She had a tranquil and peaceful life until she received a message from an angel that would forever alter it. In her case, She had a choice. She could have said "No," but She didn't. She said "Yes," and She embarked in the scariest but most divine roller coaster ride.

Life is like that. It's a series of complications sprinkled with blessings. We plan and organize, and all of a sudden, something happens that sends our plans out the window. All our organization crumbles, and we find ourselves in total chaos and turmoil. And then we have no choice but to turn to You.

The end of 2007 was like a tornado, but it taught me to place my trust on You. It also taught me that when I ask, You answer. I asked You, Jesus, to take care of Rafi and protect him until I could reach him, and You did. You sent Mama Mary to be with him, and She was by his side every second. Thank You, Jesus. Thank You, Mama Mary.

I also learned to believe in angels because You sent us many angels to help us through the ordeal. We were surrounded by angels that weekend. When I received the call, my house was filled with Emmaus sisters that carried me, and helped me make all the arrangements to get me to Princeton as soon as possible. They also drove me to break the news to Rafe. I believe that You use people and angels to help those in need at the precise moments that they are most needed.

It was a bad and terrifying incident, but we survived, and we became more united as a family. We realized what was truly important. Even though Rafe was not able to complete his Spiritual Exercises, somehow that experience got him closer to You. Through the moments of difficulty and distress, we held on to You, and we saw your hand at work in our family.

Thank You, Jesus, for the mercy that You have always shown me and my family. Even during the hardest moments, You have stayed at the center of our lives. Yes, life is a series of complications, but as long as You are at the helm, we can overcome anything.

Thank You for keeping Rafi alive, and for helping him see what truly matters.

Thank You for keeping our family united through every complication that we have encountered during our life journey. You have taught me that life is a series of complications, but it's also sprinkled with many blessings.

I love You, Jesus!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment