Flower

Flower

Thursday, January 4, 2024

The Miracle of the Eucharist

“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” Albert Einstein

A few years ago, I went to see an “Eucharistic Miracles” exhibition created and designed by Blessed Carlo Acutis. I was impressed by the exhibition but even more by the young boy that put it together. Carlo was a typical Italian teenager who loved soccer, video games and movies. He also developed a love for Jesus and the Eucharist at an early age. He went to mass every single day in order to receive Communion, and he spent a lot of his time in front of the Blessed Sacrament. 


This time spent with Jesus gave value to his teenage years. He developed a website with information on Eucharistic miracles that have taken place around the world. He begged his parents to take him to 17 different countries where he journaled and took copious notes on everything he witnessed. Over a span of two-and-a-half years, he documented 187 Eucharistic miracles.


In the midst of his research of Eucharistic Miracles, he was diagnosed with advanced leukemia. God was merciful and did not prolong his suffering, taking him to his heavenly home just four days after his diagnosis. He was just 15 years old.


I have always believed in Christ’s real presence in the Eucharist, but after learning about Carlo Acutis and all the Eucharistic miracles that have taken place around the world, I have come to realize that the Eucharist is indeed a miracle. We live our lives searching for miracles, and all we need to do is go to mass to experience a miracle. Every time a priest consecrates a host, a miracle is taking place in that altar. If more people believed this, our churches would be filled to capacity. 


I know so many young people that grew up in Catholic homes, went to mass every Sunday, attended Catholic schools, and now, they no longer participate of the Sacred Meal. The only reason I can think for their departure is that they don’t truly believe in the real presence of Jesus in the Eucharist. It breaks my heart that they are missing out on such an amazing gift. And I ask myself, where did we go wrong? Was it the schools that did not teach them properly? Or was it us, their families, who took them to mass but did not take the time to explain what was truly taking place in that altar?


I pray to Blessed Carlo Acutis for his intercession so that our young people return to the Church. I pray that they come to realize that the Eucharist is the Miracle that Jesus left us, and that by receiving this Sacred Meal, their lives will be so much more valuable. I know, from personal experience, that when I receive this Blessed nourishment, my day has more meaning. And I ask myself, why don’t I make the effort to receive it daily?


Blessed Carlo Acutis, pray for our young and pray for us.


Copyright © 2024 Christy Romero. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment