Flower

Flower

Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Step #29-Trust with All Your Heart



“… that day was a sabbath. So the Jews said to the man who was cured, ‘It is the sabbath, and it is not lawful for you to carry your mat.’” John 5:9-10

Tuesday of the Fourth Week of Lent (March 24, 2009)

Every time we read in the scriptures “that day was a Sabbath” we already know that trouble is brewing. The same thing happened to me this morning. I was taking my morning walk and my cell phone rang. I saw that it was Alex, my youngest son. I told my husband before I answered: “Oh, oh… here comes trouble.” Sure enough, the senior that takes him to school had the flu, didn’t wake up on time and did not show up to take the carpool to school. I had to hurry back to the house (luckily I was just one block away) and take to Belen figuring they would probably be late because it was already 7:20 and I don’t live so close.

I don’t know if the same thing happens to you, but without fail, every time I’m getting closer to God, the obstacles begin to appear. It happens every time I’m getting ready to serve in an Emmaus retreat or any other ministry. We are reaching our destination and it’s pretty scary that we know we have to go through the crucifixion in order to experience the resurrection. However, the enemy is nuts if he thinks a little water yesterday and turning my schedule upside down this morning is going to deter me from my mission. These steps will continue, even if they are coming a bit late. We just need to pray harder and unite as a community, because together with Jesus, we can keep walking and nothing will stop us.

When Alex called me, I had just finished the first two sorrowful mysteries of the rosary so I was in a spiritual high. I knew I had an appointment with a client at 9 am but I did not allow this obstacle to get me in the impatient mood I was yesterday. As I was driving west on Kendall, I witnessed in my rearview mirror the most gorgeous sunrise. The sun looked like a ball of fire in the horizon. I told the boys, “don’t worry guys, you won’t be late to school.” I wasn’t so sure when I saw how backed up the turnpike was, but they were on time indeed.

On the drive back, which took twice as long because of traffic, I was in such a good mood I was singing to the top of my lungs with Diana Ross “I’m coming out, I want the world to know… I’m completely positive… I'm spreading love, there's no need to fear and I just feel so glad…” The people in the cars next to mine must have thought: “who is that crazy lady singing and dancing so early in the morning?” Today, I was not going to allow anything to change my mood. I called my client, postponed our meeting until 9:30 and now I’m eating a tuna sandwich while I walk step #28 with all of you.

In today’s gospel reading, the man had been sick for 38 years, but that did not stop him from going to the pool every morning. He believed, he hoped and he trusted… for 38 years!!! Are we that persistent? Do we trust so much to pray for the same thing for 38 years? Or do we give up at the first obstacle that we find in our path?

We need to trust with all our hearts, with all our minds and with complete knowledge that Jesus wants the best for us, so no matter how hard your walk is, know that the resurrection is waiting just around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment