Flower

Flower

Monday, April 6, 2020

A Lenten Journey with Mary: From Bethlehem to Jerusalem-Day 35

Someone said to Him, ‘Behold, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside seeking to speak to You.’ But Jesus answered the one who was telling Him and said, ‘Who is My mother and who are My brothers?’” Matthew 12:47-48

The next day, we returned to the Temple for the services. This time, Jesus was present with His disciples. I saw Him from far away because the women had to go to a separate section.

When the services were over, I went looking for my Son. I was hoping that He could spend a few minutes with me so we could talk. I ran into Clopas and his sons who were on their way to the Temple’s courtyard. I asked them if they had seen Jesus, and they told me that Jesus was speaking to the crowds outside of the Temple.

I walked outside with Sarah, Luke, Salome, Samuel, Mary, Clopas and their sons Judas and Simon. We followed the crowd figuring that they would lead us to Jesus. We arrived to a large house with a center courtyard, but it was so crowded that we couldn’t go in.

I saw John, one of Jesus’ apostles whom I had met in Cana at Sarah’s wedding. I had been to his house in Capernaum. I called him and asked him if Jesus was inside. John said that he would let Jesus know that we were “seeking to speak to Him.” (1) By the time that John reached Jesus, we had managed to enter into the courtyard. I could see Jesus, but He was too far for me to reach Him. I saw John approach Him, and say something to Jesus quietly. And then, Jesus stood up, and He said loud enough for everyone to hear: “‘Who is My mother and who are My brothers?’ And stretching out His hand toward His disciples, He said, ‘Behold My mother and My brothers! For whoever does the will of My Father who is in heaven, he is My brother and sister and mother.’” (2)

Sarah looked at me and held my hand. She was worried that Jesus had offended me by His words, but by this time, I knew that Jesus spoke rhetorically. He didn’t mean to offend me, He was just trying to make a point that whomever followed Him were His brothers and sisters and mother.

While He was still speaking, John came over and told me to follow Him. He took me to a room in the back of the house, and He told me that Jesus would meet me there when He was done preaching.

I waited about twenty minutes, and then, Jesus came. He hugged me hard, like He used to do when He was little. He asked me if I had understood what He meant when He said that everyone who does the will of the Father is His brother, sister and mother. I told Him that I understood that everyone who followed God was His family, and not to worry, that I had not been offended. But I wanted to ask Him about the sadness that I had noticed in His eyes the previous day. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a chance to ask Him because we were interrupted by Peter and Andrew who stormed into the room looking for Jesus. When they saw me, they were very apologetic for interrupting us, but they wanted to let Jesus know that some Pharisees were looking for Him.

Once again, I saw a glimpse of worry in Jesus’ eyes. He told me that He needed to leave but that He would try to look for me the following day. He hugged me, gave me a kiss, and told me to take care of myself. And just like that, He was gone.

Sarah and Luke were outside waiting for me, and we walked together back to our camp. I could not shake the worry that I was carrying within me for Jesus. Why were the Pharisees looking for Him? Whatever it was, it was not good. Hopefully, Jesus could explain it to me the following day.

Reflection:
Jesus was not minimizing His relationship with His mother through these words given in response to the crowd, He was expanding it. He wants to include all of us in the family of God. In doing so, He invites us on the journey home. Do I consider the Church my family?

Copyright © 2020 Christy Romero. All rights reserved.

References:
  1. Matthew 12:46
  2. Matthew 12:48-50
Resources from the following books are being used on this journey:
1. The Mystical City of God: A Popular Abridgement of the Divine History and Live of the Virgin Mother of God by Venerable Mary of Agreda
2. The World’s First Love: Mary, Mother of God by Fulton J. Sheen
3. Las Palabras Calladas: Diario de Maria de Nazaret by Pedro Miguel Lamet
4. My Soul Magnifies the Lord: A Scriptural Journey with Mary by Jeanne Kun

All Bible references are from the New American Standard Bible (NASB) unless otherwise specified.

No comments:

Post a Comment