Flower

Flower

Tuesday, April 7, 2020

A Lenten Journey with Mary: From Bethlehem to Jerusalem-Day 36

“You will be hearing of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not frightened, for those things must take place, but that is not yet the end... In various places there will be famines and earthquakes... But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved.” Matthew 24:6-7, 13

Today, once again we woke up early and we walked to the Temple for the morning services. I ran into Mary and Martha when I entered the women’s section. We sat down together, we listened to the Scriptures, and then we walked out together.

They told me that Jesus had stayed with them last night, and that He was staying away from Jerusalem because the chief priests and Pharisees were plotting to arrest Him to stop Him from preaching. They must have noticed the concern in my eyes because they hugged me and told me to trust God. Then they said that Jesus would meet me at the Mount of Olives before sunset.

I returned to our camp with Sarah, Luke, Salome and Samuel. We had a light meal and then we picked up everything and left the camp set up for our supper. Tomorrow is Passover, and we are expecting a large crowd. We have already started baking the unleavened bread and the bitter herbs are ready. The lamb has already been marinated, and its ready to be cooked. We have enough jars of wine to host hundreds. We are well prepared, and we are looking forward to the celebration.

About an hour before sunset, I headed to the Mount of Olives which was not far from where we were camping. The Mount of Olives is covered with ancient olive trees, and is one mountain north of Mt. Zion with breathtaking views of Jerusalem and the Kidron Valley.

It doesn’t take me long to find my Son. He is preaching to His disciples. I sit on top of a rock, where I can see Him and hear Him, but He cannot see me. I listen to what He is saying. “Be on the alert, for you do not know which day your Lord is coming. But be sure of this, that if the head of the house had known at what time of the night the thief was coming, he would have been on the alert and would not have allowed his house to be broken into. For this reason you also must be ready; for the Son of Man is coming at an hour when you do not think He will.” (1)

I wondered if His disciples even realized that He was talking about Himself. He then continued: “See to it that no one misleads you. For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will mislead many. You will be hearing of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not frightened, for those things must take place, but that is not yet the end. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and in various places there will be famines and earthquakes. But all these things are merely the beginning of birth pangs.
Then they will deliver you to tribulation, and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations because of My name. At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another. Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many. Because lawlessness is increased, most people’s love will grow cold. But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved. This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come.” (2)

Peter asked Him: “Tell us, when will these things happen, and what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?” (3) Peter surely knows who my Son is.

Jesus answered him: “After the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky with power and great glory. And He will send forth His angels with a great trumpet and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other.” (4)

As He was talking, He looked towards where I was sitting, and He saw me. He then concluded His preaching, and He told His disciples that He would be right back. He came over to where I was, and He hugged me. We then went for a walk, like we used to do on the hills of Nazareth. I grabbed His arm, and I told Him that I had listened to His words and that I was deeply touched by what He was saying. I also told Him that I was worried about the fact that the chief priests and Pharisees wanted to arrest Him. He told me to be strong, that even though we would have to endure tribulation, it would all be for the greater glory of God. He told me to trust the Father, that He would not abandon us. And He also said that His disciples would be by my side.

I asked Him if He would join us the following day for the Passover meal, and He told me that it all depended. If He felt that He needed to hide from the Pharisees then most likely He would not be able to join me.

He hugged me again, and He told me: “Promise me, Mother, that You will be strong. My hour is near, but God has a plan, and it will all end up in glory.”

I promised Him that I was the handmaid of the Lord, and that I had always been at His mercy. “I know You have a mission, Son. It is the reason why You came into the world. I will not stand in Your Father’s way. Let it be done according to His will.”

I gave Him a kiss, and I walked back to my tent carrying His words in the silence of my heart. 

Reflection:
The night before Passover was the last time that Mary was able to hug and kiss her Son before He was put to death. How hard for a Mother to stand aside and allow God’s will to be done, especially when there will be pain and tribulation. We can learn a lot from her during these difficult times. How do I react when I experience pain and suffering? Do I trust God that He will turn my pain into glory? I must unite my pain to the cross. Jesus is walking with me, and He is helping me carry my cross.

References:
  1. Matthew 24:42-44
  2. Matthew 24:4-14
  3. Matthew 24:3
  4. Matthew 24:29-31

1 comment:

  1. The only way that anybody can go through this is with the love of God

    ReplyDelete