Flower

Flower

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Letters to Heaven: The Moment that Selfishness Died.

"Woman behold your son. Son behold your mother." John 19: 26-27

February 25, 2010

Dear Jesus:

Thank You for surrendering your Mother to us. By giving your Mother to us, You took our sins and nailed them on the cross with You. Jesus, You loved your Mother so much that You gave her up. You sacrificed her so that we could have her. And Mama Mary accepted. At that moment, when You surrendered her, selfishness died.

I love You, Jesus!!!


February 25, 2017

Dear Mama Mary:

Thank you for accepting to be our Mother in Heaven. On that day, selfishness died. Your Son surrendered you and you said YES. It was your second most important YES.

Selfishness means living less for God and more for "self." You and your Son are the complete opposite. You never lived for yourselves. You always lived for God.

Mama Mary, teach me to live more for God and less for myself.

I love you, Mama Mary!!!

Today, Saturday, we celebrate the "Common of the Blessed Virgin Mary." I had no idea what that meant so I looked it up. This is what I found in the Marian Catechist:

"Honoring Mary on Saturday was first “officially” promoted by Saint Alcuin (735-804). This practice was quickly and enthusiastically embraced by both clergy and laity, the Mass of the Blessed Virgin Mary on Saturday eventually becoming the Common of the Blessed Virgin.

Saturday is the day when creation was completed; therefore it is also celebrated as the day of the fulfillment of the plan of salvation, which found its realization through Mary. Sunday is the Lord’s Day, so it seemed appropriate to observe the preceding day as Mary’s day. In addition, as Genesis describes, God rested on the seventh day, Saturday. The seventh day, and the Jewish Sabbath, is Saturday; we rest on Sunday, because we celebrate the Resurrection as our Sabbath Day. In parallel, Jesus rested in the womb and then in the loving arms of Mary from birth until she held His lifeless body at the foot of the Cross; thus the God-head rested in Mary.

The custom of dedicating Saturday Masses to Mary was fostered especially in the cloister churches of the various orders, and quickly spread throughout the whole Church."

http://www.mariancatechist.com/formation/mary/saturdays/

There is so much to learn and so much treasure in our faith, I feel that the more I dig, the more I find. I love this idea of offering my Saturdays to Mama Mary and my Sundays to God. I may not be able to attend that extra mass, but I will definitely try to honor her by praying a rosary on Saturdays, especially during Lent.

No comments:

Post a Comment