Flower

Flower

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Letters to Heaven during Lent: Ash Wednesday Reflections

It seems that this day holds a prime spot on my journals, so I decided to share some of my Ash Wednesday reflections through the years.


February 25, 2009

"If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." —Matthew 16:24

Dear Jesus:

Today is Ash Wednesday and it's been more than two months since I've written You a letter. The last time I wrote You I was getting ready for Christmas. Now, I'm getting ready for Lent and Easter.

I know that following You is not easy. In order to follow You, I must swim against the current. It would be so much easier just to drift through the river of life, but I chose the harder route, the one that leads to You.

"Pick up your cross." What is my cross, Jesus? I am very blessed because my cross is so light that I don't even feel it. If I had to pick a cross today, I would pick "tax season." It's the time during the year when I'm most stressed out. I miss our quiet times together, but I know that I have a responsibility, a duty to my clients and tax season will be over soon.

So this year, I'm going to offer this tax season as my penance for Lent. I will work each day with a smile on my face, a positive attitude and I will serve my clients to the best of my ability.

I love You, Jesus!!!

February 13, 2013

“Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.” —LUKE 6:37

Dear Jesus:

I decided to give myself half a day off to attend this Ash Wednesday retreat. I have been asked to answer this question: "How merciful is my image of God?"

Since I started studying the Scriptures, I have learned how merciful and forgiving our Father is. Our patriarchs, Adam, Eve, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, etc, did some awful things. And yet, God always gave them new opportunities for improvement. And He always forgave them. 

I know that God forgives me too. It doesn't matter how many times I fall. He is always there to catch me. I know that I am a sinner, but I also know that if I truly repent, He will forgive me. God knows my heart. He looks deep within and He knows what is truly hidden in my heart. He always gives me a new opportunity. I just have to repent and truly become a better person.

God, mold me and change me. Help me to become like clay in your hands. Only if I do your will, will I become the woman that You created me to be.

I love You, Jesus!!!

February 18, 2015

"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you." —PSALM 32:8

Dear Jesus:

Two years ago, I took the time to attend a retreat on Ash Wednesday. Today, I'm doing the same thing. I know that I have a lot on my plate, but I need to recharge my batteries. What better place to get renewed than a retreat?

I am here today for myself. I need to wash my soul, repent, renew and reform my life. I always feel that I'm swimming between two shores. On one shore is the world. On the other shore is You. It is on this shore where I can truly find solace, comfort and peace. But unfortunately, I can't remain on this shore forever because You want me to be part of the world.

I came today because I need ammunition for my journey. I need to rise from the ashes so that I can reach the resurrection. And in the process, I hope that I can be a witness to my family. Hopefully, they will be able to see You through me. I hope they realize that without You, the world is pointless and without meaning.

Give me your courage, Jesus. Alone, there is nothing I can do, but with You, I can do anything. 

Transform me, Jesus.

I love You, Jesus!!!

February 10, 2016

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." —1 PETER 5:7

Dear Jesus:

Today is the beginning of Lent and I must tell You that I'm not ready. It just crawled upon me.

I've been up since 3:30 am, awake long before that. I haven't been sleeping well lately. I'm stressed out to the point of breaking. I have so much work at the office and I committed to chair the fundraiser of the Key Clubhouse. Some days, I feel like I'm just going to drown. I'm afraid that I'm losing control of the fundraiser and I'm going to let everyone down. 300 people. How did this happen? You truly are an amazing God. But now, I need your help. I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself because as You know, I'm a perfectionist. But I need to let go, and let You handle the things that are out of my control.

Please, let me keep my sanity as I journey through this Lent.

I love You, Jesus!!!

March 1, 2017

"When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?" —Psalm 56:3–4

Dear Jesus:

Lent this year is starting very late. I was anxiously waiting for it. I'm excited because Easter this year will mark the end of tax season. A double celebration.

I really wanted to go to the Ash Wednesday retreat that I have attended in the past, but I just couldn't fit it in. I have too much work right now and I'm already taking Thursday mornings for Bible class. Next week we are going to start a five-week study on "The Passion." I'm really looking forward to it, so I need to pace myself to make sure that I can fit it in my schedule.

This year, instead of giving up chocolate or something inconsequential, I'm planning to give up something more substantial, and also harder. This Lent, I'm giving up gossip and negativity. I will look for the best in people, and I will try very hard to praise, instead of putting anyone down. I will also keep a positive outlook on the future, and I will try to minimize my contact with people who are negative and toxic.

And as a bonus, I'm going to try really hard to give up worry. You are in control and worrying will not change the outcome. I will trust You and when the "worry ants" begin to crawl upon my brain, I will attempt to block them out.

I love You, Jesus!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment