Flower

Flower

Monday, March 20, 2017

Letters to Heaven during Lent: I Forgive You

“Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.” —LUKE 6:37

Week 3: March 5, 2013

Dear Jesus:

We are smack in the middle of Lent and I just went to confession. St. Louis is having its parish mission this week and I was able to go. Before the confession, the speaker gave us a short talk about forgiveness. There was beautiful music and singing in the background.

Thank You for giving us this wonderful sacrament. It's so liberating. I usually go to confession once a year, but this year, I'm going to try to change that to once a month. The deacon told us not to hold anything back. I tried but once I began to talk, I forgot half of the sins that I wanted to confess. However, the priest told me that God knows me better than I know myself. He is right. You know me very well, and even if I forgot to mention some of my sins outloud, You know what they are and You have forgiven me.

I love You, Jesus!!!



"When all you see is your pain you lose sight of me." 
                                                         from the movie "The Shack"

March 20, 2017

Dear Jesus:

Today, I went to see the movie, "The Shack." I had already read the book, and for the first time, I actually liked the movie more than the book. I say for the first time because every time I read a book and then watch the movie, I find the movie lacking. I always prefer the book. But not this time. They really did a good job with the movie in emphasizing the spiritual aspect.

One of the main themes of the movie is "forgiveness." We don't realize it but when we choose not to forgive, when we choose to carry the burden of not forgiving someone that has hurt us, all we are doing is multiplying that pain and in the process, we lose sight of You. Sometimes we confuse forgiveness with forgetting. Of course, we are not going to forget, but we can choose to forgive. Forgiveness, like love, it's a choice we make every day. And the more we say "I forgive you," the lighter and better we will feel.

Lent is a great time to make that choice. And sometimes, we even need to make amends with You. Many times, when something bad happens, we blame You. I have been angry at You many times. Why did you allow this illness? Why couldn't you prevent the accident? Why? Why? Why?

This Lent, I choose to forgive You for all the times that I have felt that You have let me down. And I choose to forgive all the people that in my mind have hurt me. Many times, my mind is my worst enemy. And who am I to judge? What I perceive as wrong may be a complete misunderstanding.

We are halfway through Lent and I'm yet to go to confession. It's time to stop making excuses, and separate an hour to let go of all my burdens.

I love You, Jesus!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment