Flower

Flower

Saturday, March 5, 2022

Lent: A Season of Hope

“Lent is precisely the season of hope when we turn our gaze back to the God who is patient. Saint Paul passionately urges us to place our hope in reconciliation: ‘Be reconciled to God’ (2 Cor 5:20).” Pope Francis


We were in a rush to get to 8 o’clock mass. We had woken up extra early to squeeze our morning walk. I had checked the website and confirmed that St. Raymond had daily mass at 8 am. We got there at 8 on the dot and the parking lot was overflowing. There was not one empty space. We had to park in an adjacent lot that had been opened for such occasion.


As we walked into the church, we realized that we were very late. They were already saying the “Prayer of the Faithful.” Mass must have started at 7:30 instead of 8. I had checked all the churches in the surrounding area and none had mass at 8:30 so we decided to stay. I felt like one of those persons that only go to church to get the ashes, but I figured that God knew I had made an honest mistake with the time. 


An usher led us to a seat outside, since the inside of the church was packed. I sat in front of a glass curio that was placed on top of a white column. On the front of the column, these words were written: “Faith Hope Blessed.”


As I stared to this message, I realized that we were starting the season of faith, hope and blessings. I have always looked at Lent as the season of darkness, sadness and sacrifice. But I have been wrong all alone. Lent is the season of hope and opportunity. God gives us an opportunity every year during Lent to grow in faith and hope, and as we do, we receive immense blessings. We have the opportunity each Lent to grow closer to Jesus as we accompany Him on His passion. And we have the hope of the Resurrection that awaits us on Easter Sunday.


As I looked all around me, I thought to myself: “Why can’t churches be this packed all year round?” The most interesting thing to me is that Ash Wednesday is not even a holy day of obligation. No one is required to attend Mass or receive blessed ashes, and yet, the churches are packed. My friend Lupe helped me to look at it from a different angle when she told me the next day: “Hope filled me throughout the day as I witnessed so many, many people going to Little Flower for Ash Wednesday. So much hope and joy in my heart that the Lord is being honored and praised by so many!” I guess it doesn’t matter what draws people to mass on Ash Wednesday. The important thing is that while they are there, they are honoring God and praising Him.


It turns out that I made a mistake when I checked St. Raymond’s website. Their daily mass is at 7:30 am. I must have gotten confused with the hours of the parish office which opens at 8. But I know without a doubt that God wanted me to sit where I sat. Those words of “Faith, Hope and Blessed” were written just for me. And the empty glass curio is where they place the Blessed Sacrament every day from 8 to 6. St. Raymond is a 5-minute drive from my home. I feel God calling me to spend time with Him this Lent. I hope I make the time to spend some time with Him. 


I finish this meditation sharing Lupe’s words: “May this Lent lead all people to turn to God in humility and prayer in the midst of the chaos and fear in which we are living. Jesus, we trust in you!”


Copyright © 2022 Christy Romero. All rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment