Flower

Flower

Sunday, March 13, 2022

Madre Juliana’s Lesson

May the profound be what we always celebrate.” Madre Juliana



I normally don’t write two meditations on the same day, but just as I was finishing one, I found out that one of my favorite teachers passed away. I was compelled to write about her. 


Madre Juliana was my fourth grade teacher at Immaculate Conception, the school I attended while I lived in Madrid. She was in her twenties, newly ordained, and we all loved her. She was smart, funny, strict, but in a loving kind of way, and she taught me a lesson that I will never forget. 


In Spain, we had to go to school from 9 to 5 with a 2-hour break for lunch. Most kids used to go home for lunch but my best friends Tere, Dulce and I used to stay in the school for lunch. It would take us about 30 minutes to eat and then we had 90 minutes to play. 


On one particular day, Dulce and I asked Madre Juliana if she needed help with anything. I don’t remember what she asked us to do but I do remember finding the exam that we were having the following day on top of her desk. Dulce and I looked at each other and we didn’t think about it twice. We ran to our desks, grabbed paper and pencil, and rushed to copy the responses. This test was not multiple choice, it was questions and short written answers. That night, we memorized all the responses. The next day, when M. Juliana gave out the tests, Dulce and I looked at each other and we smiled. We were going to Ace the test.


Normally, M. Juliana would collect the tests, grade them overnight, and return them to us the following day. Not this time. She decided that we would grade each other’s tests. Dulce and I looked at each other. We knew something was amiss, especially when M. Juliana decided to grade my test. 


The entire class failed the test except Dulce and me. M. Juliana looked at us and said in front of the whole class: “It looks like Dulce and Cristina are the only ones that study for this test.” We wanted the floor to open up and swallow us. We were deeply embarrassed, but we confessed.


I never asked M. Juliana how she knew, but I guess she probably returned to the classroom and saw Dulce and I on her desk copying the responses. She could have caught us red handed but she was very wise and knew the lesson would be more impacting if she confronted us in front of the whole class. 


I left Spain at the end of the fifth grade but I never forgot M. Juliana. I saw her again in 2014. She was the superior of all the schools in Spain. My husband, nice as he is, reminded her of my 4th grade misdeed. She had completely forgotten, and we both had a good laugh.


In 2012, the founder of the order, Madre Carmen Salles, was canonized by Pope Benedict XVI. M. Juliana attended the canonization. When I saw her in 2014, she gave me a rosary, a book, and a few medals that she had brought back. I have no doubt that M. Juliana is now in heaven with St. Carmen Salles. Her journey here on earth ended, but her heavenly journey is just beginning. 


M. Juliana had hope in each of her students that we would become the women that God created us to be, and she always pushed us to reach for the stars. She helped to strengthen and build up my faith. And yes, I never ever cheated again on a test. 


May you Rest In Peace Madre Juliana, and I hope we meet again in heaven.


Copyright © 2022 Christy Romero. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment