Flower

Flower

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Letters to Heaven during Lent: Getting Back to Basics

“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” —LUKE 10:41–42

Holy Week: Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Dear Jesus:

It's tax day! And I'm done! I finished all the extensions yesterday. Now, what I don't understand is this. If I'm done with tax season, why did I wake up at 4:30 in the morning? Really? What's wrong with me? I'm supposed to be relaxed now and sleeping like a baby. I guess that's not going to happen. So what better time to spend some quiet time with You on this Tuesday of Holy Week?

Today's meditation from Father Barron talks about the desert. "Flowers in the Desert," he calls it. The desert symbolizes many things but the one that touch me the most is: "an ordering of our priorities in life and a simplification; a getting back to basics."

I have a tendency to complicate my life. Like Martha, I worry about too many things. And I need to re-order my priorities. Lately, my priority has been work. I need to re-group, simplify and get back to the basics. And it starts today.

I'm starting my day praying to You. My family is always at the top of my list, but today, I'm going to be a little selfish and pamper myself. I'm going to go to Claire's house to pray, eat and share time with my community of faith.

I love You, Jesus!!!



Holy Week: Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Dear Jesus:

Twenty-eight years ago today, my abuelo Venancio passed away. One of the most valuable lessons he taught me was to enjoy the basic pleasures of life. My grandfather was a very simple man. He was happy watching a game of baseball or soccer on TV, eating a good plate of "potaje" or smoking his pipe. I got my love of reading from him. He used to read "Selecciones" (Reader's Digest) from beginning to end. He enjoyed life to the fullest in a very simple way.

Today, the accountant I share office space with, asked me if I would be working on Easter Sunday. "No way," I answered him. "I'm also not working on Good Friday or Holy Saturday." I have one more week of 10-hour work days, but those three days will be for You. The way I'm looking at it, this year You gave me two more work days so I could spend Easter weekend enjoying the celebration of Your Resurrection.

My grandfather was not a very religious man, but he had his priorities straight. Sundays were for rest, for family and for enjoying life. And I learned the lesson well.

I love You, Jesus!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment