Flower

Flower

Sunday, April 9, 2017

Letters to Heaven during Lent: We Must Become Like Donkeys

"Go into the village ahead of you, and immediately you will find a donkey tied, and a colt with her; untie them and bring them to me." Matthew 21:2

Holy Week: Palm Sunday, April 13, 2014

Dear Jesus:

I was supposed to go to work today but I decided to play hooky. Today is for You. Today is Palm Sunday.

This year, I have not had the best Lent. I'm ashamed to say that I didn't give up anything. I haven't done any serious meditations, other than the ones that I receive by email and the book I'm reading. I didn't even go to confession yesterday as I had planned. I've been too overwhelmed to give much thought to Lent. I need to change that. Holy Week starts today. I must pray more and get closer to You.

I love You, Jesus. This week is going to be hectic for me but please, help me not to lose focus. And my focus needs to be on You.

I love You, Jesus!!!



Holy Week: Palm Sunday, April 9, 2017

Dear Jesus:

Yesterday, I finally made it to confession. I've been wanting to go to confession all Lent, but there was always something getting on the way. But this time, I made it my priority, and I didn't allow anything or anyone to stop me. It feels good to begin Holy Week with a clean conscience.

I also attended mass yesterday. Father Frank Permuy was the priest. I like him. He takes the simplest element from the reading, and turns it into a great homily. His homily yesterday was about the donkey. He said that it would not surprise him if Pope Francis declares next year the year of the donkey. Everyone was laughing. But then, he turned serious and told us that to get to You, we need to become like donkeys. You chose the most humble animal to enter into Jerusalem. In order to enter into Holy Week, we must also become humble, like the donkey. Just like your apostles untied the donkey to take him to You, we must untie ourselves from everything that is keeping us apart from You.

We are tied down by many things—by guilt, pride, selfishness or anxiety. Some of us are tied down by grudges, and we cannot forgive. Many of us are tied down to our smartphones and tablets, and we are unable to put those devices down. We need to be untied from what weighs us down.

Jesus, help us to become like donkeys so You can untie us and bring us to You.

I love You, Jesus!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment