Flower

Flower

Saturday, March 14, 2020

A Lenten Journey with Mary: From Bethlehem to Jerusalem-Day 16

“His parents went to Jerusalem every year at the Feast of the Passover. And when He became twelve, they went up there according to the custom of the Feast.” Luke 2:41-42


Today I found my collection of parchment papers inside my mother’s chest. I grabbed them and I read them. The last time that I wrote was five years ago, after my cousin Elizabeth came to visit us with her son John. That was the last time that I saw her alive. She passed away less than a year later. Her husband, Zacharias, passed away a year ago. I have not seen John since the burial. I need to make time to go to Ein Kerem to visit him. He is living with Zacharias’ brother and wife.

After finding my journal, I had an impulse to write. So much has happened in these past five years, and at the same time, it’s been such a peaceful time. Does a mother ever realize the precise moment when her child stops being a kid to become an adolescent? Of course, for me, Jesus will always be my child, my Baby Boy. But in this last year, He has grown not only physically, but mentally. He is almost as tall as me already, and He has matured tremendously. Of course, He has always been a wise and precocious child, but in the past year, His questions have become more profound. He has not lost His beautiful smile, but He has become more serious and independent.

Tomorrow, we will be going to Jerusalem, like we go every year, for the Feast of the Passover. This is the first time that Jesus will accompany us. In previous years, we have left Him behind with friends or family because He has not been old enough for the trip. He is extremely excited about going with us because He thinks He is now all grown up.

I knitted a new white linen tunic to commemorate this special occasion. The wool prayer cloak I sewed it in multiple colors. Jesus loved it. It reminded Him of the story that I had read Him many times of Joseph and the multicolored coat. As I was packing them, we heard the timbals and trumpets that announced the pilgrimage for the following day.

I am continuing to write while we are on the road. We left early this morning. The road to Jerusalem looked like a river of people, camels and donkeys amidst the mountains. Our prayers were mixed with the screams from the kids, and the braying from the mules. As we passed through the towns, many more pilgrims joined the caravan.

In these trips, men and women tend to walk separately. I was walking with my sisters-in-law and other women from our town. We talked about our kids and the daily happenings in Nazareth. We also prayed psalms. Jesus was up front with His cousins and other kids from our town. Once in a while, He would come running to check up on me, or He would run to Joseph. I told Him to stop running, that it was a long journey and He was going to get all sweaty and tired before we stopped to rest. But who can stop the excitement of a twelve-year-old?

As we entered the Jordan Valley, the temperature turned hotter and more humid. This made our journey more difficult and many had to stop due to the fatigue that they were feeling. As I walked in this heat, I couldn’t help but remember our other pilgrimages. I recalled our journey to Bethlehem when I was almost nine months pregnant. At that time, it was winter so it was the opposite. We were very cold. And then, our flight into Egypt... in both instances I felt a fear that I had never experienced before. This time, in spite of the heat, I felt joy and peace. I was so happy to see my Boy all grown up. He would be a magnificent young man. Next year, at age thirteen, He would become a “Son of the commandments.”

It will take us at least another three days to arrive in Jerusalem. I treasure each moment of this journey. The other times we were on our own, but this time, we are surrounded by so many of our relatives and friends. I give thanks to the Lord for my little family and for my extended family. I give thanks to Him for all the journeys in my life, the painful ones and the joyful ones. I give thanks to God for this day, and I offer Him the rest of this pilgrimage. May God protect us just like He protected the Israelite boys during the first Passover. May we receive many blessings in our visit to the Temple, but we thank You, Father, for all the blessings that we have already received.

Reflection:
The Holy Family observed the Passover in Jerusalem in accordance with the Mosaic Law. The observance of Jewish rituals was a part of their traditions. What religious tradition do I observe with my family? Is it as important as the Passover was for the Holy Family?

Copyright © 2020 Christy Romero. All rights reserved.

Resources from the following books are being used on this journey:
1. The Mystical City of God: A Popular Abridgement of the Divine History and Live of the Virgin Mother of God by Venerable Mary of
Agreda
2. The World’s First Love: Mary, Mother of God by Fulton J. Sheen
3. Las Palabras Calladas: Diario de Maria de Nazaret by Pedro Miguel Lamet
4. My Soul Magnifies the Lord: A Scriptural Journey with Mary by Jeanne Kun

All Bible references are from the New American Standard Bible (NASB) unless otherwise specified.

No comments:

Post a Comment