Flower

Flower

Monday, March 23, 2020

A Lenten Journey with Mary: From Bethlehem to Jerusalem-Day 24

“Now as Jesus was walking by the Sea of Galilee, He saw two brothers, Simon who was called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen. And He said to them, ‘Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.’ Immediately they left their nets and followed Him.” Matthew 4:18-20

Spring has arrived. It’s my favorite season. I love how the fields turn from yellow to green, and flowers begin to bloom everywhere. It’s as if the earth comes out from mourning and dresses with its most colorful clothing. As I finished sewing the white dress that Sarah will wear on her wedding day, I breathed in the perfume that was all around me in the air.

I am already in Cana. I arrived three days ago, and I am staying in Sarah’s aunt’s house. The town is already in a jovial wedding mood. There is music on the streets, and the townspeople seem to dance instead of walk. Cana is on the road that leads to Capernaum, not too far from Nazareth.

I am nervous because the wedding celebrations start in just a couple of days, and Jesus still has not arrived. He is supposed to bring His five disciples. Before He left to meet up with them, He told me how He had found them. The first two, Andrew and Simon, are fishermen from the Sea of Galilee. Jesus was walking on the shore, when He spotted them. They were casting a net into the sea. Jesus says that He just knew that they had been chosen by God. He told them: “Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.” (1) And just like that, Andrew and Simon dropped their nets and they followed my Son. Jesus then changed Simon’s name. He said: “You are Simon the son of John; you shall be called Cephas.” (2) Cephas translated is Peter.

“Going on from there He saw two other brothers, James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, in the boat with Zebedee their father, mending their nets; and He called them. Immediately they left the boat and their father, and followed Him.” (3) “The next day He purposed to go into Galilee, and He found Philip. And Jesus said to him, ‘Follow Me,’” (4) and Philip dropped everything and went after my Son.

It should surprise me that these five humble men that had their lives already mapped out for them would leave everything behind to follow a strange man that they had never met before, but knowing my Son and His magnetic personality, I am not surprised that He captured their hearts with just one look. No one better than me knows how one can fall in love with my Son from just one word from His lips or if He looks at You with His gentle eyes. That is exactly what happened to His disciples.

I am looking forward to meeting my Son’s disciples. I hope they arrive soon so I have the opportunity to get to know them before all the festivities for the wedding begin.

Reflection:
The disciples dropped everything to follow Jesus. Jesus is also asking me to follow Him. How have I responded to His call?

Copyright © 2020 Christy Romero. All rights reserved.

References:
  1. Matthew 4:19
  2. John 1:42
  3. Matthew 4:21-22
  4. John 1:43
Resources from the following books are being used on this journey:
1. The Mystical City of God: A Popular Abridgement of the Divine History and Live of the Virgin Mother of God by Venerable Mary of
Agreda
2. The World’s First Love: Mary, Mother of God by Fulton J. Sheen
3. Las Palabras Calladas: Diario de Maria de Nazaret by Pedro Miguel Lamet
4. My Soul Magnifies the Lord: A Scriptural Journey with Mary by Jeanne Kun

All Bible references are from the New American Standard Bible (NASB) unless otherwise specified.

No comments:

Post a Comment