Flower

Flower

Tuesday, March 3, 2020

A Lenten Journey with Mary: From Bethlehem to Jerusalem-Day 7

“Simeon blessed them and said to Mary His mother, ‘Behold, this Child is appointed for the fall and rise of many in Israel, and for a sign to be opposed, and a sword will pierce even your own soul.” Luke 2:34-35


I should be sleeping with Joseph and Jesus, but the events that took place today are keeping me awake. I already said my prayers, but I am feeling very anxious. Therefore, I sneaked out of our room, and I’m sitting here quietly by the light of a single candle because I do not want to wake up Matthias, Joanna or baby Simon.

We left just as the flowers were beginning to wake up to the first rays of sunlight. It was a two-hour journey from Bethlehem to Jerusalem. We took two donkeys with us so that both Joanna and I could travel more comfortable with our babies in our arms.

Joseph and Matthias have become good friends, just like Joanna and I. It is good for us to have found this humble couple that we can confide in, and with whom we can exchange ideas and concerns regarding our newborn babies.

When we arrived in Jerusalem, the magnitude of the temple was a sight to behold. I had visited before, but this time, it just seemed bigger and more majestic. It looked like it was made of gold because the sun made it shine as if it had its own radiant light.

We entered the courtyard through the Jaffa door which is next to Herod’s palace. It was packed with people and the noise was overwhelming. There were men and women begging for a coin or a piece of bread. There was a blind man sitting next to a camel on the floor. There were a lot of vendors trying to sell us all sort of things, including animals for our offering. I was overwhelmed by the craziness of it all, and I hugged Baby Jesus close to me. I didn’t need the jewels that the lady in the blue veil was trying to sell me. Jesus was the only treasure I needed. I grabbed unto Joseph, and I tried to walk as fast as possible. Joanna and Matthias were ahead of us.

We purchased the pigeons for the offering, and we entered the temple through the Golden Door. In the inner patio, there were more merchants selling their wares. It looked out of place in the temple. I felt that it was fine for outside, but behind the Golden Door, this should be a place of worship, and not a market place. 

I felt Jesus stir in my arms. He had slept most of the journey, but soon I would need to feed Him. In the midst of that multitude, I realized how small and innocent He was. I was afraid that someone could push me, and that I could fall down with Him in my arms. Joseph was vigilant because he was also worried that they could steal from us the little that we had. “This place is a den of robbers,” he said. “We must stay together, Mary, and be careful.”

We went down a set of stairs that would lead us to the area that was reserved for the women. We were not allowed to worship in the same place as the men, so at this point, I had to separate from Joseph. I followed Joanna and other mothers that were waiting for the priest in order to deposit our pigeons for the holocaust in the altar.

The priest took Jesus in his arms, I deposited the pigeons in the altar, and then he returned Jesus to me. I gave the priest five silver shekels, the price to redeem my Baby Boy from priestly duties. Even though Jesus was not obligated to serve in the temple, I felt a huge responsibility to educate my Son according to our Jewish traditions. “I place Him in your hands, Lord,” I said a silent prayer. “Please teach me and guide me so that I can be a worthy mother to your Son.”

Joining the other women, I bowed and knelt to adore the Lord in spirit and in truth in His holy temple and I presented myself before the exalted Majesty of God with His Son upon my arms. And then, I heard a voice issuing from the eternal Father, saying: “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well-pleased.” (1) I looked around me, but it seemed that I was the only one who heard the voice.

When I finished my prayers, I searched for Joanna but I could not find her. I figured she had already left so I went to find Joseph. We found each other outside in the courtyard, and just as we were ready to leave, an old man came running towards us. I hugged Jesus tight, but the old man looked at me with such kindness in his eyes that I just handed him my Child. When he received the Infant Jesus upon his hands, he raised up his eyes to Heaven, and he offered Jesus up to the eternal Father, pronouncing at the same time these words so full of mysteries: “Now Lord, You are releasing Your bond-servant to depart in peace, according to Your word; for my eyes have seen Your salvation, which You have prepared in the presence of all peoples, a Light of revelation to the Gentiles, and the glory of Your people Israel.” (2)

Joseph and I were amazed at his words. Then the old man looked at us, and told us that his name was Simeon, and that “it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord’s Christ.” (3) Then, Simeon blessed us, and addressing himself to me, he added: “Behold, this Child is appointed for the fall and rise of many in Israel, and for a sign to be opposed, and a sword will pierce even your own soul—to the end that thoughts from many hearts may be revealed.” (4)

Then, an old lady that was sitting in the courtyard watching the whole thing, also approached us. She told us that she was the prophetess Anna, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher. She acknowledged the Incarnate Word, and full of the Holy Ghost, she spoke of the mysteries of the Messiah to many, who were expecting the redemption of Israel. 

By these two holy old people public testimony of the coming of the Redeemer was given to the world. And as more people surrounded us, I became even more worried for the safety of my Child, especially because some of Herod’s guards were standing nearby watching the whole commotion.

We met Joanna and Matthias outside, who were oblivious as to what had transpired in the courtyard. We went with them to the house of some of Joanna’s relatives where we could rest and feed our babies. In the afternoon, after the babies took a nap and we had something to eat, we would return to Bethlehem.

I said a silent prayer of thanks to the Lord as we walked through the streets of Jerusalem. But just like Simeon predicted, a sword was already piercing my heart. His words were like a second Annunciation, but this time, it revealed to me that I would have to live my obedience of faith in suffering, by my Son’s side who will have to accomplish His mission in misunderstanding and sorrow.

Oh Lord, if it is Your will, spare our Son the pain and give it all to me. As his mother, I would do anything to keep Him from having to endure any kind of sorrow. I will gladly take His place. But not my will, Lord, but yours. Let it be done, according to Thy Word.


Reflection:

Simeon forewarns Mary that she will suffer and this causes her to be anxious. Is there something in particularly that is currently making me anxious? What can I do to feel God’s peace? What can I do to feel hope in the midst of my anxiety?

References:
  1. Matthew 3:17
  2. Luke 2:29-32
  3. Luke 2:26
  4. Luke 2:34-35
Copyright © 2020 Christy Romero. All rights reserved.

Resources from the following books are being used on this journey:
1. The Mystical City of God: A Popular Abridgement of the Divine History and Live of the Virgin Mother of God by Venerable Mary of
Agreda
2. The World’s First Love: Mary, Mother of God by Fulton J. Sheen
3. Las Palabras Calladas: Diario de Maria de Nazaret by Pedro Miguel Lamet
4. My Soul Magnifies the Lord: A Scriptural Journey with Mary by Jeanne Kun

All Bible references are from the New American Standard Bible (NASB) unless otherwise specified.

1 comment: