Flower

Flower

Sunday, March 15, 2020

A Lenten Journey with Mary: From Bethlehem to Jerusalem-Day 17

“As they were returning, after spending the full number of days, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem. But His parents were unaware of it.” Luke 2:43


We are now back in Nazareth after our trip to Jerusalem. It took us four days to get there. The Passover feast lasted seven days, and we stayed the full week. We participated in all the acts of worship and devotion with the rest of our Hebrew community. We offered a lamb in the altar of holocausts together with Joseph’s brother and sister and their families. The priests killed the lamb, picking up its blood in a bucket, then they removed the inner organs to burn them in the altar, and finally, the lamb itself was returned to us for our paschal meal. Jesus observed the whole procedure with eyes wide open. He then took a look at the veil that separated us from the “Sancta Santorum” where in the old times they used to keep the Ark of the Covenant. And then He lifted His hands to pray, oblivious to all the noise around Him.

Our entire group from Nazareth set up camp on the slopes of the Mount of Olives. It was a sight to behold when seen from Jerusalem. It looked like the whole mountain was in flames, with all the bonfires lit across the slope, like a star-lit sky. We gathered together to eat the bitter herbs and the unleavened bread, remembering once again the last supper of the slaves in Egypt. The four ritual cups were passed around as we said our prayers in thanksgiving for our freedom from the times of the exodus. And then, we ate the lamb.

From our vantage point, Jesus pointed towards Jerusalem. “Look mother, how beautiful.” The city was lit like an ember with all the candles and bonfires on the streets and rooftops. He didn’t remember Jerusalem from when He was little, but on this visit, He had fallen in love with it.

At the end of the seven days, the city became an ocean of madness. The dust of the city became mixed with the camels, the donkeys and the hundreds of pilgrims trying to leave the city to return to their towns. It was easy to lose sight of friends and family in all this commotion. Everyone pushed their way through the doors of the city, until they found their respective caravans to head out together as a group.

Our group from Nazareth decided to depart early in the afternoon, make our first stop a few hours later to make sure everyone was present, and then we would plan the rest of our journey. As always, we walked separately, the men in one group and the women in a separate group. Jesus had the freedom to walk with His cousins and friends, and to move between the two groups. As we were leaving Jerusalem, He came over and gave me a kiss, but then, I did not see Him again. I assumed that He was with Joseph or with His friends.

We set up camp at the end of the day, to refresh ourselves and eat. I saw Joseph approaching me with worry on his face. “Mary, have you seen Jesus?”

“No, I thought He was with you,” I answered him. 

Joseph told me that he had checked with Clopas and Salome, with His cousins and friends, and no one had seen Him. The anxiety that I felt left me paralyzed. Had He wandered off along the road, and then lost His way? Could He have been injured in a fall? Had He stayed behind in the crowded city? I was in anguish that I had been careless. I wanted to return to Jerusalem right away, but Joseph told me that it would be best if we waited until the morning.

I was not able to eat anything, much less sleep. At the first ray of light, Joseph and I returned to Jerusalem. Our neighbors said things as we were leaving that made me worry even more. “God willing He was not captured by bandits. Hopefully He didn’t fall down a cliff.” The only one that gave me some hope was my sister-in-law Salome: “Don’t worry, Mary. You will find Him.”

Our return journey was difficult because we were walking against the current. Everyone was leaving Jerusalem, and we literally had to push our way against the departing caravans. Once we arrived back in Jerusalem, we searched for Him in every corner. We gave His description to everyone we met, asking them if they had seen Him. “He’s twelve-years old, tall and skinny, very dark eyes, beautiful smile, He was wearing a linen tunic with a multi-color prayer cloak.” Nobody had seen Him.

We searched for Him for three days, within the city and outside its walls. We were exhausted. We had hardly slept during those three nights, filled with worry and anxiety. On the third day, we decided to return to the Temple to pray to God to lead us to Jesus. Inside the Temple, we continued asking everyone we encountered. Nothing. Finally, we sat down near the entrance to the private rooms of the priests. We were filled with such sadness. We could hear voices coming from one of the rooms. It sounded like a heated discussion. At first, we did not pay attention, but then, all of a sudden, I heard a voice that I could recognize in a million. “Jesus!” I screamed.

I jumped and ran into the room, followed by Joseph. There was Jesus, surrounded by priests and rabbi, who were sitting on cushions placed around on the floor. My first impulse was to run and hug my Son, but Joseph held me back. We listened in awe at the questions that the priests were throwing at our Son and at His answers. We could tell that the priests were also amazed at His responses. When they finished their discussion, I ran to Him and I hugged Him. Then I said: “‘Son, why have You treated us this way? Behold, Your father and I have been anxiously looking for You.’ And He said to (us), ‘Why is it that you were looking for Me? Did you not know that I had to be in My Father’s house?’” (1) I did not understand the mystery of these words.

The scribes and learned men approached us: “Is this your Son?” They praised the intelligence and vivaciousness of our Son, and they told Joseph that we should leave Him with them. “He would learn rapidly and make it very far,” they said. Joseph thanked them but told them that we had to head out, that our caravan to Nazareth was probably far away already and we had to catch up to them.

Jesus had always been a precocious Child, but He had always been obedient. For the first time, He had acted independently without letting us know, and we were at a loss as to what we should do. All the joy that I had felt on our way to Jerusalem had evaporated. I remembered the words of Simeon: “a sword will pierce even your own soul.” (2)

I recalled all at once the last twelve years, from the visit of the angel to the present moment, and I realized that I had been living the last five years in Nazareth in a bubble of happiness. I had chosen to believe that Jesus was only mine, mine and Joseph’s, and that we were a normal family like everyone else. But now, that bubble had bursted, and I realized in an instant, that Jesus had grown up much too fast.

Reflection:
Mary sought her missing Son with longing and perseverance, not giving up her search until she found Him. Occasionally we lose our awareness of God’s presence in us. Perhaps it’s because of our busyness, our indifference, or a pattern of sin in our lives. Have I ever felt that I have lost God because of my sin or my own lukewarmness? What did I do to find Him again? And if I have not found Him yet, should I give up or should I imitate Mary and not give up until I find Him?

Copyright © 2020 Christy Romero. All rights reserved.

Reference:
  1. Luke 2:48-49
  2. Luke 2:35
Resources from the following books are being used on this journey:
1. The Mystical City of God: A Popular Abridgement of the Divine History and Live of the Virgin Mother of God by Venerable Mary of
Agreda
2. The World’s First Love: Mary, Mother of God by Fulton J. Sheen
3. Las Palabras Calladas: Diario de Maria de Nazaret by Pedro Miguel Lamet
4. My Soul Magnifies the Lord: A Scriptural Journey with Mary by Jeanne Kun

All Bible references are from the New American Standard Bible (NASB) unless otherwise specified.

1 comment:

  1. You are right occasionally without even noticing it we loose the presence of God. This is major importance in our daily lives. I/we need to focus on what is important not let the little things get in our ways.

    ReplyDelete