Flower

Flower

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Letters to Heaven: My Landing Pad

"It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings." 
Ann Landers

July 26, 2007

Dear Mama Mary:

Today is your parents' feast day. What wonderful parents You must have that produced a woman like You. They are an inspiration for all struggling parents around the world. You and Joseph are an inspiration too, a role model to follow. Being parents is not an easy job and no one teaches us how to do it. We learn on the go. But with You as role model, all we need to do is ask ourselves, "what would Mary have done in this situation?" Or "how would Joseph have reacted if faced with this problem?"

Rafe and I want the same basic things for our children (happiness, success, education...) but we are very different in our parenting techniques. Rafe is much more strict, more authoritarian and he expects a lot from them. I'm more soft. I let them get away with more, which is not always so good. Rafe claims that I'm a "helicopter parent" but to a certain degree, he is too. Poor kids. They have become a landing pad.


Mama Mary, thank You for listening to me. Thank You for guiding me and for serving as a role model to teach me how to be a good mother.

I love You, Mama Mary!!!



July 26, 2017

Dear Mama Mary:

Today is grandparents' day. It's the day that we celebrate your parents, Jesus' grandparents. We don't know much about them as they are not mentioned in the Bible. But we know that they were very patient while they waited for many years to conceive a child. God gave them the gift of You.

Mama Mary, thank You for protecting my children from heaven. Yes, I have been a "helicopter parent." More of a blimp, since I just hover over them while a helicopter actually moves. I'm constantly checking "Find my Friends" to locate them, to make sure they are fine. I need to relax. I need to learn from You. I'm sure You worried about Jesus but You took a back seat so He could become the Messiah. If You had constantly interfered, You would not have allowed Him to fulfill God's mission for Him.

Please teach me to trust and allow God to protect them. Show me how to relax and get out of the way. I need to give God the space that He needs to guide my children in the path that He has set out for them. I need to stop being a helicopter or a blimp. They are not mine. They are not my landing pad. They belong to God. I need to let go and let God.

St. Anne and St. Joachim, pray for us and for our children.

I love You, Mama Mary!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment