Flower

Flower

Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Letters to Heaven: True to Your Call

"Fight the good fight of the faith; take hold of the eternal life to which you were called." 1 Timothy 6:12

June 15, 2009

Dear Jesus:

This weekend, Rafi was feeling better so we drove up to Melbourne to try to catch a glimpse of the space shuttle as it lifted into space. Unfortunately, when we reached the lobby at 6 am, they had a sign: "NASA scrubs launch." Chabeli said: "this will go down in history as the most pointless vacation we have ever taken." The three of them turned around, got on the elevator, and went back to the room to sleep.

Rafe and I decided to go to the beach and catch the sunrise. It gave us some peaceful and quiet time in the midst of all the turmoil we've been feeling lately. Jesus, your Father really created a beautiful world. The sunrise is simply an amazing feast that we can enjoy every day. Too bad that we don't take the time to enjoy it more often.

Last weekend, Alex confirmed his faith. Rafi was his sponsor. It was good seeing them together, big brother and little brother. It was a beautiful ceremony. The bishop was Rev. Felipe Estevez, a good shepherd. I know Jesus that You must be very upset with everything that has been happening in your church. First the scandals from so many priests, and now, in our own community, the scandal of Father Albert. I would like to pray for our church, and for all the priests. We need to come together as one body. Please guide us in the right direction. I also would like to pray for vocations to the priesthood. The seminarian that spoke yesterday after the ceremony said some beautiful words about his vocation. I would like to pray for him and for all the seminarians so they remain true to their call. Also, for all the priests, so they can resist all the temptations that they encounter each and every day. And I would like to pray for more vocations among our youth. I have three young ones. If You want to call one or all three, Rafe and I will not be an obstacle. The final decision, though, is up to them. Help them to open their hearts to hear your call, whether it is to a religious vocation or marriage. Give them the courage to follow the path that You have planned for them. Allow them to remain true to their call.

Jesus, please help our Catholic Church recover from all the scandals. Help my family strengthen their faith. Help us remain in the right path. And help us continue climbing the mountain, together, and with the knowledge that we will find You when we reach the top.

Give me the strength and courage to continue this journey. Protect my family from all evil. Even though we missed the space shuttle launch, I don't think it was a pointless getaway. It was nice to get away for one weekend, and to spend the time huddled together in one hotel room. You knew how much we needed the distraction.

I love You, Jesus!!!


July 4, 2017

Dear Jesus:

One of Alex's closest friends has heard your call and has answered "yes." He will be entering the Jesuit seminary in August. He came over a couple days ago to watch a soccer game with Alex and two other friends. I told him that I would pray for his vocation because I know that the road ahead will be anything but easy.

It got me thinking, how would I feel if Alex announces to me that he wants to become a priest? I would definitely be proud, but I would also be terrified. Being a priest is no easy feat. It takes a lot of sacrifice. If we are attacked on a daily basis by the enemy, in their case, it's even more. But with You at the center, anything is possible.

Yes, I will definitely pray for Eric on a daily basis. Please protect him as he embarks on this journey. He said "yes" to your call, just like your apostles did 2,000 years ago. Please give him the courage, the strength and the faith to follow You wherever the path leads him. I pray that no matter what storms he finds along the way, he remains true to your call. And give peace to his parents as they see their son take his first steps towards a vocation filled with sacrifice and self-denial, but also filled with You.

On this day that we celebrate our independence and our freedom, I want to thank You for leading my family to this amazing country. Here we have the freedom to follow whatever path we choose. We have freedom of speech and freedom of religion. If our children have a vocation to religious life, they can make that choice without fear of incarceration. If our children choose marriage, they have the freedom to choose their own partner. They can study whatever profession they choose. And they are free to follow their own calling, whatever that may be. Thank You for the opportunity to live in this free country, and help us to always remain true to your call.

I love You, Jesus!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment