Flower

Flower

Sunday, December 15, 2019

25 Steps with Mary: From Nazareth to Bethlehem-Day 15

“There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven— A time to give birth and a time to die... A time to love and a time to hate...” 
Ecclesiastes 3:1-2, 8


Today, I felt the presence of my parents closer than ever. When those we love leave us, they only leave us physically. They remain with us in spirit, even if we cannot see them. But if we pay attention, we can feel them all around us. Today, on the eve of my wedding day, they were with me.

Something within me knew that Anna, my mother, was beside me that morning while I kneaded the dough, and divided it into small balls so I could place them inside the tannur for baking. Even though I could not see her with my eyes, I could feel her touch in my skin. I could see her with the eyes of my heart, sitting in her favorite chair, turning the wheel to create a beautiful tunic for my special day. I could see Joachim, my father, sitting by the window, in the same chair that I like to use now, looking out the window while holding in his rugged hands the book of the Torah. If I closed my eyes, I could hear his voice reading out loud, “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.” (1) I could even smell his perfume, a mixture of persimmon and myrrh. And without realizing it, I had tears rolling down my face.

Even though they are not physically present with me, and I’m going to miss them tremendously on such an important date, they left me my aunt and uncle who have done such a wonderful job to prepare me for the big day. My aunt has worked around the clock on my wedding vestments. She had to keep releasing the seams to make room for my growing belly. When my aunt found out that I was with child, she just hugged me and said: “Your mom would have been so happy to become a grandmother.” And my uncle has been helping Joseph to prepare our home. My aunt and uncle have a home of their own, they just sort of moved in with me when my mother passed away so I would not be all alone. But now that Joseph is moving into my home, they will return to their own house. Joseph and my uncle have been repairing various parts of the house that just needed a little makeover.

Tonight, my aunt braided my hair. She said that it would help for tomorrow because my hair would be more manageable to place the headpiece which was made up of multiple daisies that she herself picked up today from the valley, and was keeping them fresh in a vase with water. Joseph’s sister, my dear friend Salome, was also present. And so was his sister-in-law Mary, the wife of Clopas. I allowed them to pamper me. They used perfumed oils to lather my skin and Mary brought an alabaster box which contained an ointment which she only used for very special occasions. She claimed that it would be good for my face.

“You must now rest, Mary,” they told me before they left the house. “Tomorrow, we will be back to help you get ready for your nuptials.” They were as excited, if not more, than I was. It had been a while since a wedding had taken place in Nazareth.

Even though I tried to obey them, I just could not fall sleep. It was a very hot summer day. There was no breeze since I could see that not a leave was moving in the trees. As I sat by the window, contemplating the beautiful dark sky, sprinkled with stars, I felt the sweat running down my back. I grabbed the Sacred Scriptures, and I read: “Isaac went out to meditate in the field toward evening; and he lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, camels were coming. Rebekah lifted up her eyes, and when she saw Isaac she dismounted from the camel. She said to the servant, ‘Who is that man walking in the field to meet us?’ And the servant said, ‘He is my master.’ Then she took her veil and covered herself. The servant told Isaac all the things that he had done. Then Isaac brought her into his mother Sarah’s tent, and he took Rebekah, and she became his wife, and he loved her.” (2)

I have always loved the story of Isaac and Rebekah. I prayed to the Lord to grant Joseph and I, a love story similar to theirs. And as I prayed to Him to give us a beautiful day for our wedding, I felt asleep.

Reflection:

Today, I am thinking of those persons that I love that are no longer with me. Do I pray to them? Is my faith strong enough to know that even though they are no longer physically present, they are with me always in spirit? One day, we will reunite with those that have left before us because death is not the end.

Copyright © 2019 Christy Romero. All rights reserved.

References:

1. Psalms 23:1
2. Genesis 24:63-67

No comments:

Post a Comment