Flower

Flower

Monday, December 16, 2019

25 Steps with Mary: From Nazareth to Bethlehem-Day 16

“And Joseph awoke from his sleep and did as the angel of the Lord commanded him, and took Mary as his wife.” Matthew 1:24


“The groom is coming, the groom is coming,” I heard the screams outside.

I had been getting ready since the early morning hours. As promised, Salome and Mary, the wife of Clopas, came to my house to help me. Once I was ready, I had to wait for Joseph to come collect me. This could be at any time during the day or night, and I had to be ready with my lamp filled with oil. My bridesmaids waited with me, and they also had to have oil ready for their lamps. If they had not been ready when the groom came, they would miss the banquet.

When Joseph and his friends got close to my house, they gave a shout and blew a shofar to let me know he was arriving. My bridesmaids all rushed outside just as the first stars were making their appearance in the sky. The lights from the lamps being carried by the groomsmen were combined with the lights that my bridesmaids were carrying, and soon, it looked like a river of light was marking the path for the groom. I waited for Joseph inside the house, looking mesmerized through the window at the spectacle outside. I must confess that behind my timid smile, I was happy and nervous at the same time.

Among the screams and howls from the crowd, I saw the little donkey that had accompanied me on my journey to Ein Kerem. He was all dressed up for the occasion with feathers and jewels covering his head, and a silk embroidered blanket over his body. He looked at me with his gentle eyes, and I could tell that he recognized me. It seemed as if he was smiling at me. Behind the donkey, I finally spotted Joseph. He was wearing a brand new blue tunic, a yellow robe over it, and a crown of tiny flowers on his head. He looked so strong and handsome, bubbling over with energy and strength.

I opened the door, and walked outside. My white tunic, tied with the nuptial belt, and the translucent veil covering my face, seemed to be dancing with the wind. My friends helped me climb on top of the donkey. I was wearing bracelets and anklets that had belonged to my mother, and others that I borrowed from my aunt and my friends. My head was filled with daisies, as if they had been knitted amongst my hair.

I saw myself on Joseph’s eyes, and I did not recognize me. I looked like a princess, and from the smile on his face, I knew that’s what he thought too. He grabbed the bridle of the donkey, while all the children threw flowers at us. As we walked towards Joseph’s house, where the wedding celebrations would take place, it seemed as if all the inhabitants from Nazareth were outside cheering us on, and praying to Yahweh to bless our marriage. “May the Lord bless you.” “May you meet lots of children, and the children of your children.” “May Yahweh fill with prosperity Joseph’s chests, and with happiness Mary’s soul.” My bridesmaids and Joseph’s groomsmen, walked ahead of us with their oil lamps lit. My family and friends trailed behind, like a fine parade. Joseph’s family waited for us at his house.

We brought to our espousal two hearts filled with great torrents of love. We had a deep and pure love for one another. Ours was a divine romance. And I must confess, that even though I was present at the celebration of our wedding, I remember the details as if I had been watching from a cloud, because that is how I felt, as if I was floating on a cloud. I recall that there were white blankets covering the floor of Joseph’s humble house. In the middle of the room, there was a white canopy that had been prepared for us. The procession led us there, and while they sang, we held hands. Joseph placed a crown made of myrtle on my head, and the rabbi gave us wine to taste. After we tasted the wine, the glass was thrown on the floor to break it, as it was our custom, so no other lip could touch the glass that we had drank from. Then, the rabbi placed our right hands together, and he pronounced these words: “May the God of Abraham and the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob be with you. May He unite you and complete in you His blessing.”

Joseph and I looked at each other, and we realized that our marriage was not like that of others. Joseph knew that I had made a vow to God to remain a virgin, therefore the right to the body had been surrendered. But there was no need to unite the flesh when we had already attained the divine unity. The consummation of our love was in Jesus. The Light of the World was our love. Jesus, our Child, made us one. No deeper love ever beat in this world since the beginning, nor will it ever beat, even unto the end. It takes not two to love, but three. We had the love of God with us.

Reflection:

Joseph and Mary had a pure love for one another that was made even stronger through Jesus. Is there room for Jesus in my life? Do I allow Him to be part of my relationships with others?

Copyright © 2019 Christy Romero. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment