Flower

Flower

Monday, December 23, 2019

25 Steps with Mary: From Nazareth to Bethlehem-Day 23

“He will give His angels charge concerning you, to guard you in all your ways.” Psalms 91:11


We have been on this journey three days. The caravan that we started with originally, left us behind because we could not keep up with them due to my condition. This would have been a huge problem under normal circumstances, but since there are so many persons traveling, we were not alone for very long.

Now, we are traveling with a group that is going to Jerusalem. Bethlehem is further, but we are sure that we will find another caravan. In this one, there is another lady with child just like me. Her name is Miriam. I am further along, though. She’s in her sixth month. They are traveling at a slower pace because of Miriam so we have been able to keep up.

We have stopped to eat. We are taking cover inside a cave because today is a particularly cold day. Joseph and I brought bread, fruit and some fishes for our journey. We also brought water stored in wine skins. We now share them with the other travelers, and they in turn, share what they brought with us. Therefore, our meal is quite varied. In addition to what we brought, we are eating goat cheese, olives, almonds, pistachios, honey, figs, dates, grapes, and pomegranates.

I sat next to Miriam. She’s older than I am by a few years. She confided that this is her third pregnancy. She lost the first two. The last one was especially painful because she was already in her third trimester. She is very worried that this trip will cause her to lose this pregnancy too. I tried to reassure her that everything would work out fine, but what do I know? I said a silent prayer for her. “Please, Lord, protect Miriam and her baby, just like You are protecting me and my Son.”

While Miriam and I rested, I saw Joseph surrounded by the children. He made a ball with wood sticks and string, and he covered it with leather. They were playing some kind of game where they were sitting down in a circle, and were tossing the ball around. The children were laughing and having a wonderful time. I realized then what a wonderful father Joseph would be to our Son.

A while back, Joseph had confided in me that when the angel appeared to him in his dreams, and told him that I was expecting the Messiah, he was terrified at the great responsibility that God was asking of him. He did not feel that he was worthy of the task. He felt that there were many other men that could do a much better job at protecting and educating the Son of God, because after all, he was just a simple carpenter. I told him that if God had chosen him, it was because He knew that he was the right man for the job. After living with him the past few months, and looking at him now with the children, I had no doubt.

“Thank You, Lord, for choosing such a humble, simple man, for such an extraordinary task. You picked him because You know that Joseph will be a great guardian, teacher and protector of Your Son. You could have chosen a powerful King, and yet, you picked an ordinary man from an unknown little village in Galilee. You chose well, Lord. Look at how patient he is with all those children. You could not have found a better man for such great responsibility in all the earth.”

After resting for an hour, we must now continue our journey. We are carrying with us the Treasure of Heaven, and the whole court of celestial angels is marching with us.

Reflection:

Joseph trusted and obeyed God, in spite of the fact that he did not feel worthy of the task. God was pleased to entrust him with such a great responsibility for His Son and for Mary. What can I learn from Joseph’s example? When has God asked something of me, and I have answered “no” because I did not feel worthy of the task? God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called. I must trust that if God entrusts me with a great responsibility, He will turn my ordinary abilities into extraordinary gifts.

Copyright © 2019 Christy Romero. All rights reserved.

Resources from the following books are being used on this journey:

1. The Mystical City of God: A Popular Abridgement of the Divine History and Live of the Virgin Mother of God by Venerable Mary of Agreda
2. The World’s First Love: Mary, Mother of God by Fulton J. Sheen
3. Las Palabras Calladas: Diario de Maria de Nazaret by Pedro Miguel Lamet
4. My Soul Magnifies the Lord: A Scriptural Journey with Mary by Jeanne Kun

All Bible references are from the New American Standard Bible (NASB) unless otherwise specified.

No comments:

Post a Comment