Flower

Flower

Tuesday, December 17, 2019

25 Steps with Mary: From Nazareth to Bethlehem-Day 17

“Husbands, love your wives...” Ephesians 5:25


One month after our wedding, the people of Nazareth were still talking about the celebration. I practically don’t remember the banquet, but my neighbors surely do. Today, when I went down to the river, I ran into my sisters-in-law Salome and Mary, and three other friends that were also washing their clothing. They were reminiscing about the banquet, about all the wine they drank, about the dancing, and about how much fun they had. I, on the other hand, all I can remember is the noise: the noise of the clinking of the wine glasses, the noise of the music, the noise of laughter... All I wanted was to go home with Joseph, but I knew that the people needed the celebration. And celebrate they did.

After everyone left, and we were finally alone, I was very nervous because under normal circumstances, that would be the night when we would consummate our love. But nothing was normal about our relationship. After all, I was already expecting a child, and yet, I was a virgin. My body belonged to the Creator through the vow I had made. And Joseph understood this. Joseph renounced ownership of my flesh, and yet found more in the spirit, as the foster father of Our Lord. We stayed at Joseph’s house on our wedding night, but we slept in separate rooms. I was worried that this would be a problem for Joseph, but it was not. He is the most gentle and good-hearted man that has ever lived. The flame of our love was not meant to scorch the flesh, but to solidify our lives.

The next day, we moved into my home, which is now our home. Our life together has fallen into rhythm as if we have been dancing together since the beginning of time. We both wake up at the crack of dawn, sometimes even earlier. While I bake the bread and prepare the breakfast, Joseph goes to feed our faithful donkey. He also takes out water from the well. This was something that I used to do every day, but now that I am on my sixth month, Joseph took this chore away from me because he does not want me to exert myself.

After breakfast, Joseph leaves to his carpentry shop. He is working on a wooden cradle for our Son, among all the other orders that he has to fulfill. While he works, I take care of the household chores: cleaning the house, washing the clothing in the river, going to town to buy or trade what we need, maintain our vegetable garden... and many other daily duties that keep my days occupied.

At night, after supper, we read the Scriptures together. This time of prayer has united us more and more. And just like that, as the trees begin to lose their leaves, we celebrated our first month anniversary.

Reflection:

By marrying Mary, Joseph expresses his own “let it be done to me according to your word.” He is referring to God’s Word. The Word uttered in absolute love and truth. Am I ready to hear God’s Word? Am I prepared for the path that God has chosen for me?

Copyright © 2019 Christy Romero. All rights reserved.

Resources from the following books are being used on this journey:

1. The Mystical City of God: A Popular Abridgement of the Divine History and Live of the Virgin Mother of God by Venerable Mary of Agreda
2. The World’s First Love: Mary, Mother of God by Fulton J. Sheen
3. Las Palabras Calladas: Diario de Maria de Nazaret by Pedro Miguel Lamet
4. My Soul Magnifies the Lord: A Scriptural Journey with Mary by Jeanne Kun

All Bible references are from the New American Standard Bible (NASB) unless otherwise specified.







No comments:

Post a Comment