Flower

Flower

Saturday, December 7, 2019

25 Steps with Mary: From Nazareth to Bethlehem-Day 7

“The people were waiting for Zacharias, and were wondering at his delay in the temple. But when he came out, he was unable to speak to them; and they realized that he had seen a vision in the temple; and he kept making signs to them, and remained mute. When the days of his priestly service were ended, he went back home.” Luke 1:21-23



I arrived to Ein Kerem a month ago. Time flies here. We wake up before the sun rises, and we go to bed past midnight. There is so much to do, the day just gets away from me. I have had no time to write on my journal because after dinner, Elizabeth and I spend hours talking, until sleep overcomes us. She usually falls asleep first, since the advanced pregnancy is taking a toll on her. After she retires to her room, I just have time to say my evening prayers. Today, she was not feeling well, so she went to her room right after dinner. I miss our evening conversation, but this has given me time to write on my journal.

One of the first conversations I had with Elizabeth was regarding Zacharias’ muteness. She told me that right before she became pregnant, it was Zacharias’ turn to enter the temple and burn incense as part of his priestly duties. This was a once-in-a-lifetime honor. And when the time for the burning of incense came, all the assembled worshipers were praying outside. Zacharias was in the holy place for a very long time. Meanwhile, the people were waiting for Zacharias and wondering why he stayed so long in the temple. When he came out, he could not speak to them. They realized he had seen a vision in the temple, for he kept making signs to them but remained unable to speak. When his time of service was completed, he returned home. Shortly thereafter, Elizabeth became pregnant, and for five months remained in seclusion.

I figured that whatever had happened inside the temple was directly related to Elizabeth’s pregnancy. Was it possible that Zacharias also had a visit from an angel like I did? One night, I asked Zacharias directly if an angel had visited him. He looked at me, and he nodded. I said a prayer for him, hoping that one day he will be able to regain his speech, and share with us what transpired within the temple.

Elizabeth told me that the reason why she went in seclusion for five months was because she previously had various miscarriages. She did not want to share her pregnancy with anyone until she was certain that this pregnancy would be successful. After five months of rest and prayer, she knew that the Lord had a special plan for this child, and it was time to share her joyful news with the world.

One of the things that I have been doing for Elizabeth is to sew and prepare the swaddling clothes and coverlets in which her baby is to be wrapped and reared. Elizabeth humbly asked me for this favor. I have, with incredible love and subjection, complied with her request. It is my wish to serve my cousin, in humility and obedience, as the lowest handmaid.

However, I feel that I am receiving from Elizabeth more than what I am giving her. Yes, I am helping to alleviate her burden by taking on a lot of her chores: cooking, cleaning the house, baking the bread every morning, going up to the well to get water, sewing the clothing for the baby, and other menial jobs. But Elizabeth has become my mentor. She understands what I am feeling. She comprehends what I am going through. She experienced some of the same fears I have been feeling when she found out that she was pregnant.

God has placed Elizabeth in my life as a kind of spiritual mother -- a pregnant mother at that! Elizabeth is nurturing me and encouraging me to trust in the Lord. Elizabeth has become an instructor and teacher, a friend and confidant, my mentor and advocate. I believe that God has given Elizabeth to me for a special period of time and for a special purpose. God, in His amazing grace and mercy, has brought us together. Elizabeth has become my safety net.

I came to serve my cousin, but I am receiving so much more.

Reflection:

Elizabeth acted as a mentor to Mary during the time that they were together. How has someone mentored me in the Lord? How has God used me to mentor others? There are people in my life right now that need my time. God has placed them there for me to mentor, to encourage, and to strengthen their faith. I need to be available when they need me. In the rush of our culture, I need to make sure that I don't miss the opportunities that God places in my path.

Copyright © 2019 Christy Romero. All rights reserved.

Resources from the following books are being used on this journey:
1. The Mystical City of God: A Popular Abridgement of the Divine History and Live of the Virgin Mother of God by Venerable Mary of Agreda
2. The World’s First Love: Mary, Mother of God by Fulton J. Sheen
3. Las Palabras Calladas: Diario de Maria de Nazaret by Pedro Miguel Lamet
4. My Soul Magnifies the Lord: A Scriptural Journey with Mary by Jeanne Kun

No comments:

Post a Comment