Flower

Flower

Friday, December 6, 2019

25 Steps with Mary: From Nazareth to Bethlehem-Day 6

“Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb.” Luke 1:42


After five long days, today I finally arrived to Ein Kerem. I went in a hurry to Elizabeth’s house, only to be greeted by Zacharias. Well, not precisely greeted. Zacharias is mute. He cannot speak. I have no idea what has happened to him. The last time that I saw him, he could speak without any problems. I guess Elizabeth will shed light on what has happened. But in the meantime, my priority was to find Elizabeth. Zacharias told me, in sign language, that Elizabeth had gone up the hill. I figured that she had gone to get water, since the well that provided water for the town was way up on the hill. I could not wait to see her, so even though I was exhausted from the long journey, I rushed up the mountain to find her.

It was a steep climb. The road was rocky so I had to be careful not to slip and fall. And to think that my cousin made this climb every single day in her condition. I knew right then and there that I would take this chore from her.

I found my cousin resting by the well. I called out to her: “Elizabeth!!!” She turned around, and her face was illuminated at seeing me. I ran to her and I hugged her. “The Lord be with you, my dearest cousin,” I greeted her. Even though Elizabeth is almost thirty years my senior, and could have been my mother, she is my favorite cousin.

And then, the strangest thing happened. When Elizabeth heard my greeting, the child in her womb jumped. I was able to see the baby move in her stomach. Elizabeth touched her protruding belly, and she cried out with a loud voice: “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb. And how has it happened to me, that the mother of my Lord would come to me? ” (1)

How did she know? Was she also visited by an angel? Elizabeth has confirmed what the angel told me. I am the mother of God. I received the Spirit of God through an angel; Elizabeth received it through me.

Then Elizabeth proceeded: “When the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby leaped in my womb for joy. And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what had been spoken to her by the Lord.” (2)

Elizabeth is praising me for believing in God, and for my “yes.” Something profound has just taken place in our meeting. Elizabeth and her baby have responded to the presence of God among them. They have recognized that I am carrying the Son of God within me.

“God has become a child, and so he wants first to be known and adored by a child... God is a child, the world ignores, heaven adores; and a child is the first person in the universe to recognize and adore him.” (3)

Then I was filled with the Holy Spirit, and I responded with words that could only come from God. A song of gratitude to God springs from my heart, and leaps with joy to my lips, just like Elizabeth’s baby leaped with joy in her womb:

“My soul exalts the Lord,
And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior.
For He has had regard for the humble state of His bondslave;
For behold, from this time on all generations will count me blessed.
For the Mighty One has done great things for me;
And holy is His name.
And His mercy is upon generation after generation
Toward those who fear Him.
He has done mighty deeds with His arm;
He has scattered those who were proud in the thoughts of their heart.
He has brought down rulers from their thrones,
And has exalted those who were humble.
He has filled the hungry with good things;
And sent away the rich empty-handed.
He has given help to Israel His servant,
In remembrance of His mercy,
As He spoke to our fathers,
To Abraham and his descendants forever.” (4)

After I finished reciting this beautiful Magnificat, I smiled through tears of joy. I realized that in this song, I gathered up the soul melodies of my people: the song of David and all my ancestors. But my song refers not to the past but to the future, when the Law of Fear will give way to the Law of Love, and when a new life will arise in a promise of sanctity and praise.

We walked down the mountain, almost skipping in joy like we used to do in the summers when we would spend them together. We were rejoicing with one another over the coming births of our children, and the different ways God had blessed us. It made me realize that we were just two ordinary women, but God uses the most ordinary of people from the most ordinary places to accomplish extraordinary things. I have no illusions about my own worthiness. I don’t know why God chose me, but I do know that the reason has nothing to do with any merit of my own. I am unworthy of the honor bestowed upon me, but I accept it with humility. I will cooperate with God, and proclaim His glory.

When we arrived back to the house, Elizabeth offered me the room which she herself was accustomed to use for her prayers, and which was much retired and accommodated to that purpose. I accepted the chamber with humble thanks, and I am here now in quiet solitude reflecting on this day. I have no petitions but only praise.

Even before He is born, my Son belongs to others. He is not and will never be mine alone. By myself, I am nothing, and I have nothing. He is everything! My spirit rejoices because He has looked graciously upon the lowliness of His handmaid, because He whose name is Holy, has wrought these wonders to me. I magnify Him. Nothing takes precedence over Him who is God the Creator, the Lord of history, and the Savior of mankind. All praise, all honor and thanksgiving is due to God.

Tomorrow, the purpose of my visit will begin. I will serve and assist Elizabeth as a handmaid, until she delivers her baby. I will spend the first trimester of my own pregnancy supporting my older cousin. Then, I will return to Nazareth.

Reflection:

Mary and Elizabeth rejoiced with one another over the different ways God had blessed them. How do I react when I see others blessed by God? How can I live my life so that my actions bring glory to God? I need to glorify God through prayer for His blessings in my life.

Copyright © 2019 Christy Romero. All rights reserved.

References:
1. Luke 1:42-43
2. Luke 1:44-45
3. Cardinal Pierre de Berulle
4. Luke 1: 46-55

Resources from the following books are being used on this journey:
1. The Mystical City of God: A Popular Abridgement of the Divine History and Live of the Virgin Mother of God by Venerable Mary of Agreda
2. The World’s First Love: Mary, Mother of God by Fulton J. Sheen
3. Las Palabras Calladas: Diario de Maria de Nazaret by Pedro Miguel Lamet
4. My Soul Magnifies the Lord: A Scriptural Journey with Mary by Jeanne Kun

No comments:

Post a Comment