Flower

Flower

Thursday, December 5, 2019

25 Steps with Mary: From Nazareth to Bethlehem-Day 5

“Mary arose and went in a hurry to the hill country, to a city of Judah.” Luke 1:39


The sky has started to turn rosy as spring twilight turned to sunset. Our journey began four days ago. I have not been able to write on my journal daily like I would have liked, partly because after walking five to six leagues per day, I am exhausted by the time we set up camp. But mostly, because simply the nights have been too dark for me to be able to write. Tonight, it’s a clear night, and the moon is so bright, that I am able to see sufficiently to be able to record what our journey has been like. The night is cool but I have covered myself with a heavy woolen cloak that my aunt knitted for me. Tube-like socks and enclosed shoes are protecting my feet. I can smell the scent of olives in the air.

I will start at the beginning, on the first day of our journey. Before the sun came out, I was on my way to meet the rest of the caravan. There were six family members going, so I would be the seventh traveler. But on our way, we met another group that was going in the same direction to Jerusalem, so we joined them. We are now a total of sixteen traveling together, plus two small children.

As soon as we took off, I noticed the presence of angels accompanying us on our journey. It seems that I am the only one that can see them since nobody else has said a word. I have not shared what I’m seeing with anyone either. I feel that the angels have been sent to protect me and my Holy Child. At one point on our journey, we ran into a group of men that clearly did not have good intentions. They were either bandits, pirates of the desert or robbers. All the women from our group were very worried, but I knew that the angels would not allow anything to happen to us. As the men were approaching, a snake crossed in front of their horses scaring and scattering the horses. This gave us time to put distance between us. The men from our group have been taking turns at night keeping vigil. I wish I could tell them that there is no need, that there is an army of angels guarding us. But they would think that I have lost my marbles. And thus, I remain quiet and I ponder all these things in the silence of my heart.

We should have reached Ein Kerem today, but the journey has been arduous, and we have not been able to move as fast as we would have liked. First, we traveled south along the flatlands of the Jordan River. We then headed west through the Judean desert, and since yesterday, we have been climbing the hills surrounding Jerusalem. We have had to trek uphill through three mountain ranges, nearly 1,336 feet in elevation. Also, on the second day, while we were crossing through the desert, we encountered a sand storm. We had to stop and take cover under our cloaks and blankets. We were only able to complete four leagues distance on that day, so that caused a big delay on our travel plans.

Another travail took place while we were traveling through the heavily forested valley of the Jordan River. A wild boar came out of the woods and was coming straight at us. At that moment, all the angels surrounded me, but I was terrified that something would happen to my traveling companions. Luckily, one of the man from the group going to Jerusalem had a bow and arrow, and he killed the boar on the spot. I felt bad for the boar, but had he not done that, the boar would have attacked, and the results could have been horrific.

It certainly has been a grueling trip, but on a positive note, all the persons traveling in our caravan have been wonderful. We all help each other out. I am blessed that my pregnancy is not causing me any morning sickness, like I hear happens to many women. Nobody has noticed anything strange about me. I have been able to keep up with the rest of our group. Sometimes I walk, and if I feel tired, I just climb in top of the donkey. What a wonderful help this little donkey has turned out to be. He carries my few provisions. In wineskins, he carries water. My aunt also packed a lot of bread. We share everything that we have brought. Mostly, breakfast consists of dried bread. At lunch, we eat more bread dipped in oil, and in the evening, herbs with oil and bread.

We are very close to Jerusalem, so tomorrow morning we should be there. Ein Kerem is just two leagues further south. We should get there by noon or early in the afternoon. I cannot wait to see my cousin. I have so many questions that I want to share with her so she can help me make sense of my predicament. Why has God chosen me? What is Joseph going to say when he finds out? Will he still marry me? What will the rest of my family say? Who is going to believe me? What lays out there in my future? What is going to happen to me if they don’t believe me? All of these questions, doubts and fears have been swirling around in my mind as I journey towards Ein Kerem. What a long and lonely road this has been since I’ve had no one to talk to about my fears. Of course, I talk to God, but I need another woman’s perspective. I am eager to confide my fears and confusion to my cousin who I hope will accept the miraculous.

Now, I must rest. I say my evening prayers, and I go to sleep with the knowledge that God is leading the way, and that the angels are protecting us. I should have the answers to my questions soon.

Reflection:

On this journey, Mary carried the Word incarnate within her as she passed through the hill country of Judea. Like her, we are to carry God’s word with us through the mountains and valleys of daily life. In what ways, do I share God’s word with others? What can I do to show others that Jesus is very much present today, like he was 2,000 years ago?

No comments:

Post a Comment