Flower

Flower

Monday, December 9, 2019

25 Steps with Mary: From Nazareth to Bethlehem-Day 9

“Now the time had come for Elizabeth to give birth, and she gave birth to a son." Luke 1:57
Today, Elizabeth gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. She went into labor in the early morning hours, and I was sent to call Zacharias’ sister who has helped in many deliveries. Our Lord displayed His great mercy toward Elizabeth, and the delivery was fast and easy. Elizabeth asked me to take the newborn child into my arms, and I offered him as a new oblation to the eternal Father. I pronounced this prayer for him: “Highest Lord and Father, all holy and powerful, accept in your honor this offering of your most holy Son. He is sanctified by the Only-begotten and rescued from the effects of sin and from the power of your ancient enemies. Receive this morning’s sacrifice, and infuse into this child the blessings of your Holy Spirit, in order that he may be a faithful minister to You and to Your Only-begotten Son.” I perceived how the Lord enriched this child, and how He had chosen him as my Son’s Precursor. I also felt within me the effects of His admirable blessings.

In the afternoon, many relatives and other acquaintances of the house of Zacharias came to visit Elizabeth and meet the newborn baby. While they were gathered, they began to speak about the arrangements for the circumcision of the child, which according to our Jewish law, would need to take place on the eighth day. Complying with the custom observed among us Jews, especially among the more distinguished, in order to resolve upon the name to be given to the child; for, in addition to the ordinary preparations and consultations concerning the name to be given to a son, the high position of Zacharias and Elizabeth and the news of the miraculous fecundity of the mother naturally suggested the existence of some great mystery to the minds of all their relations. Zacharias was still mute, and therefore it was necessary that Elizabeth should preside at this meeting. Over and above the high esteem which she inspired, she now exhibited such evident signs of the exalted renewal and sanctification of her soul, that all her relatives and friends noticed the change. I looked at my cousin, and I also noticed that she exhibited a kind of effulgence which made her mysteriously attractive. The relatives then appealed by signs to Zacharias, who, being unable to speak, asked for a pen and declared his will by writing upon the tablet: “John is his name.” The relatives were all astonished because no one among them was called by that name, and they expected the baby to be called Zacharias, like his father. Everyone kept murmuring, “‘What then will this child turn out to be?’ For the hand of the Lord was certainly with him.” (1) At the same time, Zacharias found himself freed from his affliction, and, to the astonishment and fear of all present, he began to speak:
“Blessed be the Lord God of Israel,
For He has visited us and accomplished redemption for His people,
And has raised up a horn of salvation for us
In the house of David His servant—
As He spoke by the mouth of His holy prophets from of old—
Salvation from our enemies,
And from the hand of all who hate us;
To show mercy toward our fathers,
And to remember His holy covenant,
The oath which He swore to Abraham our father,
To grant us that we, being rescued from the hand of our enemies,
Might serve Him without fear,
In holiness and righteousness before Him all our days.
And you, child, will be called the prophet of the Most High;
For you will go on before the Lord to prepare His ways;
To give to His people the knowledge of salvation
By the forgiveness of their sins,
Because of the tender mercy of our God,
With which the Sunrise from on high will visit us,
To shine upon those who sit in darkness and the shadow of death,
To guide our feet into the way of peace.” (2)

The whole household of Zacharias was in awe. They thought that in his prayer, he was referring to his newborn child. But I knew that the first part of the prayer was addressed to my Son, the God of Israel. Zacharias had been mute for nine months, and when he is finally able to speak, the first words he utters are a blessing, not to his son, but to my Son.

After everyone left, and the house was quiet once again, I had the opportunity to sit down with Zacharias. He told me that his household had been sanctified by the presence of the incarnate Word in my womb. He also explained to me how an angel had appeared to him while he was burning incense at the Temple, and told him that his wife, Elizabeth, would bear a son, and that he should name him John. The angel also told him that John would prepare the people for the Lord, my Son. I asked him what had caused his muteness, and he told me that he had not believed the angel’s words, and thus the angel had decreed that he would be silent and unable to speak until the day when these things took place. That day was today, and thus, Zacharias had regained his speech.

I am now in my room, pondering all these things in the silence of my heart. I know that my time with this blessed family is coming to an end. This fills me with sadness because I have drawn towards myself all their happy hearts. Zacharias told me that during these three months that I have spent with them, I have obtained for them from my most holy Son the plenitude of celestial gifts. When the time to leave arrives, this knowledge will fill me with joy and give me the courage to return to Nazareth.

Reflection:
Mary pondered in the silence of her heart all the events that were taking place in her life. How do I ponder the events that God sends to my life? How do I seek to understand God’s purpose?
References:
1. Luke 1:66
2. Luke 1: 68-79

No comments:

Post a Comment